Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Who to see about a knee problem? Physio?

(13 Posts)
Romann Wed 21-Jan-15 01:06:35

Anyone know whether knees are in the realm of physio/osteopathy/chiropractice? I've never been to any of these and am not sure of the difference.

My knee feels weird. The sensation is a bit as though the knee cap was out of place. Sometimes it hurts to the touch, and sometimes randomly starts to hurt with a burning pain. It's slightly painful on the front left hand side when I bend it.

I run a lot, but it doesn't feel worse or better when I run so no idea whether that's related.

Lweji Wed 21-Jan-15 01:12:01


Romann Wed 21-Jan-15 04:42:39

Well except the GP will send me to someone else, so that will just mean an extra week or 2 of waiting.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 21-Jan-15 07:38:48

Physio. They have more time and more in depth knowledge of the knee. it also takes 6 -8 weeks to get physio appointment where I work.

Lweji Wed 21-Jan-15 07:55:17

A doctor will be alert to more things than a non medical physio. And can order proper exams.
If you happened to have an infection or god forbid cancer the non medical people would do fuck all and might delay treatment for 2 weeks.

MatildaTheCat Wed 21-Jan-15 08:09:30

I'm going to sit on the fence and say quick GP visit to get it checked then I would vote physio every time. I've a very long knee history and my brilliant physio and Pilates instructor have kept it surgery free for many more years than the doctors would have done.

Ponyphysio Wed 21-Jan-15 08:19:43

Lweji, Chartered physiotherapists train for 4 years precisely so they can screen for red flags such as infection and cancer!!

Lweji Wed 21-Jan-15 08:25:40

But can they order the relevant tests or give drugs?

clarella Wed 21-Jan-15 09:04:49

Physio but visit gp to 'log' it and ask for their opinion.

Iamrandom Wed 21-Jan-15 09:08:51

Physios can order tests and prescribe if they have done further training. In many areas you can now self refer to NHS physio without a GP referral precisely because they are highly trained to diagnose as well as treat. Check your local hospital physio website, give them a call or GP surgery a call to see if self referral is available in your area. If not you will need a GP appt to refer to physio.

worldgonecrazy Wed 21-Jan-15 09:08:54

Why either/or? Go to the GP to get a referral for an MRI scan or ultrasound so they can actually see what is going on, and also book in to see a physiotherapist.

Lweji Wed 21-Jan-15 09:43:06

It certainly doesn't have to be either or, but I'd definitely visit the gp first or book both if you can self refer or go private to a properly qualiied physio

Romann Wed 21-Jan-15 12:01:26

Ok, decided, I'll do both! Thanks to all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: