Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there anything that helps Agoraphobia?

(5 Posts)
GooodMythicalMorning Mon 19-Jan-15 16:28:20

Been unwell recently but have now got Agoraphobia, when I leave the house I either have a panic attack or pass out/feel like im going to pass out. Have to wait a week to see the dr. (Was two weeks for nearest appt) but was wondering if there is anything I can do that helps in the mean time?

Thanks

twinsmum1 Tue 20-Jan-15 14:45:05

Hi there, sorry you are feeling poorly. I think it is common for panic attacks to start after a period of illness. With panic attacks, one of the common feelings is that you are going to pass out in public, but you don't actually pass out. I would definitely get yourself checked out if you are actually passing out. Your doc could prescribe you some low dose meds which will help with your panic, or you could ask to have cognitive therapy, or you could try googleing 'mindfulness' for you to try self-help if you didn't want to take any meds. Hopefully you will be able to sort early and you feel better soon.

GooodMythicalMorning Tue 20-Jan-15 15:01:14

Thanks for the reply. Yes seen my gp and under cardiology but as im waiting on cardiology tests to come back they wont give me any meds yet. (Its unlikely it is cardiology related but they are being thorough.) Thanks will look up Mindfulness, anything is worth a go.

MajesticWhine Tue 20-Jan-15 15:13:51

I don't know if you are aware of this, or if it helps, but panic attacks and agoraphobia are quite common and usually can be treated successfully. You might have a bit of a wait for the right treatment, so spend some time every day practising relaxation or mindfulness. Lots of resources online. This website is good. Also set yourself some very small achievable goals for leaving the house, e.g. go just outside the house and back again, next day to the end of the road, then next time to the corner shop, or whatever. If you are open to the idea of self-help, then you could try getting this book Overcoming Panic and Agoraphobia, which will teach you CBT techniques to help overcome the problem.

Mumsmet Fri 10-Nov-17 06:25:45

How are you now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now