Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Coldsores

(4 Posts)
JaneFonda Sat 17-Jan-15 22:21:41

I have a question about coldsores!

When I was a child I'm quite sure I caught it from my mum. However, I have never had a proper 'coldsore' like she did and like other people describe.

If I'm very run down or have got a bit of sunburn, I get a tingling on my lip and then a teeny little bump appears - it's skin coloured, and usually disappears within a day.

I've never had a proper blister or scab or anything like that. Is it still a coldsore? Is my immune system fighting the virus well, which means it doesn't actually blister? Or is it something else completely?

TIA [

grandmainmypocket Sun 18-Jan-15 10:37:04

It sounds like a cold sore. Tingling, it's location and the fact it disappears by itself would indicate that.
You can pop to a pharmacy if you want someone to have a look when you next get one. They can ask you more questions.

JaneFonda Sun 18-Jan-15 12:47:38

I'm pretty sure it is, but I just wondered why I've never had a blister or scab or anything like that.

People talk about coldsores as if they're dreadful, but I've never found that - are there different strains of the virus that are stronger?

grandmainmypocket Sun 18-Jan-15 17:54:29

I think it's got more to do with your immune system but I could be different. Even people who do get scabs have different types of cold sores. Some which last longer than others depending on their body at the time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: