Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Insomnia & Restricted Sleeping

(2 Posts)
ZaraW Sat 17-Jan-15 16:11:22

I went to my doctor as I am suffering from Insomnia. She gave me some low dosage anti depressants which I wasn't too happy about taking as one of the side effects of coming off them was insomnia. I didn't like them as they made my mouth dry and felt dizzy. I stopped taking them as if there is a natural alternative I would prefer to do it that way. I was also increasing the dosage as they were not as effective as when I first started taking them.

I started restricted sleeping last week and I can see an improvement I am now getting around 5 hours sleep. I wake up at 7 am for work which means I go to bed at 1 am but it still takes me an hour to get to sleep but a big improvement on before. Does anyone know how long it will take to get back to my usual pattern of 8 hours? I am not stressed and always slept really well so not sure why this has been happening for the last 4 months.

TIA

holeinmyheart Sun 18-Jan-15 10:14:53

I suffer from not being able to get off to sleep. I don't want to take pills although Co-Codamol obtained without a prescription will help make you drowsy but it is addictive, but could help short term)

So what do I do? I have ear phones plugged into Radio 4 extra, or audio books that are free on my IPAD. I start listening and ' Bingo' I am asleep before I am half way through a programme.

I put my fully charged dab radio under my pillow and the ear phones in my ear, they will pull out if I turn too violently. So if I wake during the night, say three pm I can plug myself back in to the radio. There is always some thing interesting on. I never travel without it now.
I have to use earphones as my DH is beside me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: