Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

High Potassium Levels... Help!

(3 Posts)
Wonderous Fri 16-Jan-15 15:41:11

Hi. I'm looking for someone to give me a little advice after my recent blood test please.

Back story is that I have had pneumonia for the last three weeks and am thankfully now feeling much better after my third lot of antibiotics and s course of steroids. As a result of the infection my GP did a full blood screen to check there were no underlying infections and this has shown up a potassium level of 5.6 which apparently is high (top of normal scale is 5.1 apparently).

I have been back for a repeat blood sale today but am more than a little worried as bloody Dr Google keeps telling me that it's a big indication for kidney disease.

Had anyone had raised potassium levels or can stop me stressing out please.

For info I'm 40 and generally fairly healthy although just waiting for a laparoscopy and endometrial ablation due to painful periods. Thanks

jimijack Fri 16-Jan-15 15:46:41

Prob due to dehydration.
Have you been drinking less while being ill? It will soon sort itself out now you are better.

It's not a number I would worry about tbh. I've seen higher.

Annietheacrobat Fri 16-Jan-15 17:03:53

Relax and don't worry. The same set of blood tests would have revealed if there was anything seriously wrong with your kidneys.

Are you on any other medications?

I expect your repeat bloods will show that it has normalised but even if not 5.6 really isn't that high and definitely not what I would consider a worrying level.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: