Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Tips for dealing with asthma flare up?

(13 Posts)
SunshineBossaNova Fri 16-Jan-15 13:16:40

I've been coughing for the last couple of days, and I was coughing all last night. I'm sure I don't have a chest infection, it might be a virus.

I'm breathing okay but the coughing is quite scary and stopped me from sleeping.

I've got a humidifier and was thinking of sleeping upright tonight to help. Are there any other things I should be doing?

ChestyTheSnowman Fri 16-Jan-15 17:23:42

I've had antibiotics and steroids for a chest infection and related asthma flare up. Finished mess but asthma not back to normal, coughing and bit wheezy.

I've doubled my preventer and taking reliever more often. Making sure I take ventolin before bed helps and making sure inhalers are close to hand.
Sleeping wellsupported more upright helps.

Are you monitoring your peak flows? I find this the best indicator of when I need to see the GP.

GothicRainbow Fri 16-Jan-15 17:24:52

If it gets particularly bad could your GP prescribe you some prednisone?

SunshineBossaNova Fri 16-Jan-15 17:30:40

Chesty Thanks for the tip on the preventer. I've got my blue inhaler right next to me. I've also got more pillows for tonight.

I haven't monitored my peak flows for ages blush

Gothic if I'm still bad on Monday I'll see my GP. I'm hoping this will just pass.

GothicRainbow Sat 17-Jan-15 13:11:41

Really hope it does pass. Just be careful with how much of your blue inhaler you take. I always know when my DH has taken too much as he gets the shakes and feels faint.

SunshineBossaNova Sat 17-Jan-15 13:43:08

Thanks Gothic. I think the cough is going, I've only used my blue inhaler twice today and I slept much better.

Interrobang Sat 17-Jan-15 13:44:00

Cut out dairy.

ChestyTheSnowman Sun 18-Jan-15 16:47:24

How are you feeling today?

Missymum6 Sun 18-Jan-15 16:49:51

On experience with my oh I wouldn't have any flowers in the house, try not too use hair spray.. Oh also bleach makes him chesty..

SunshineBossaNova Sun 18-Jan-15 17:24:23

Hi Interrobang I rarely eat or drink dairy but will bear that in mind.

Thanks Chesty I'm a bit better today thanks. I've still got the cold but my cough is far more intermittent. I've only used the blue inhaler once today.

Missy thanks for the tips.

ImBatDog Sun 18-Jan-15 22:35:59

im the same, just finished my course of ABs and Pred after developing pleurisy along with it all, so just have my blue inhaler now.

Keep the air cool but not cold, plenty of fresh air circulating, reduce the amount of scented sprays, drink plenty, avoid dairy and especially chocolate.

If you have pets, make sure you hoover plenty, and also hoover around your bed/dust the headboard i'd also advise changing your bedding and sticking your pillow in the freezer for a couple of hours to reduce the dust mites

Reactive asthma when you have a coughy virus is a PITA!

ChestyTheSnowman Mon 19-Jan-15 13:59:39

I've went to the walk in centre yesterday with quite bad right rib pain Bat
He just said thinks muscular from cough.

What were your symptoms for pleurisy?

ImBatDog Mon 19-Jan-15 14:07:32

it hurts to breath basically... you cant do more than take shallow breaths because expanding your lungs hurt.

But i did also have issues with the muscles, especially around my sternum, that felt like someone was standing on my chest, almost like a crushing pain, together they made me feel like i was being slowly squeezed!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: