Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Hystergram Experiences Please - Need Some Reassurance...

(6 Posts)
RockinHippy Thu 15-Jan-15 13:12:30

After a post menopausal bleeding & severe pain scare, starting just after the new year, which thanks to a not so great OOH doctor, & my not been able to get a GP appointment meant I ended up having to go via the GU clinic - who were fantastic & fast tracked me to the Gynocology department - where I spent most of the day having scans & a biopsy - scans looked okay, some minor thickening showing in places, but not enough to be a big worry, but fibroids were mentioned & that I needed an urgent Hystergram to see exactly what was going on & how big they were as the scan wasn't clear.

I've now thankfully had the biopsy results back, which they tell me has ruled out the big C & I have the Hystergram booked for the 21st

Having rang up to get the biopsy results, the nurse couldn't read my half record of the day & had to get a doctor to translate it - doctor admitted she also couldn't read half of it, but the biopsy showed clear for cancer & confirmed I was past menopause - she thought that the bleeding was down to a polyp, could see any mention of fibroids, but might not be able to read that bit

The lady who rang me from the hospital I need to go to for the Hystergram, also seemed confused by my notes - she said it mentioned "general anesthetic" but said I shouldn't need that for a Hystergram - she asked if I felt the biopsy - I did, it was excruciatingly painful, but short lived, so I coped - she seemed confused by my notes too, but talked me into not needing a general for this scan as it would be very unusual, would delay my appointment & wasn't needed.

Reading the NHS/Patient UK blurb, that's not quite right, it does mention a general is sometimes needed - I live with chronic pain conditions, & thankfully have a high pain threshold, but the biopsy had me yelping & really knocked me for 6 afterwards, which is very very rare for me. I can cope with a short burst of that pain, but due to high BP, plus a minor heart condition (POTs) I'm worried that the Hystergram may be more than this, & I will therefore really struggle & be at risk, hence why I'm asking how it when for you

Hope that lots makes sense - TIA

pinkfrocks Thu 15-Jan-15 14:07:47

I think the more usual term is a hysteroscopy.
This is a camera in the uterus and they usually take a biopsy too.

I have had this done and a biopsy alone as another procedure on its own.

Each hospital has its own 'rules' about this. Mine appt was private with insurance so it was slightly different. I was given free choice over what to have - GA, local or nothing. I chose nothing and on the say was told I could have a local if the pain was bad, or a reschedule for a GA.

I didn't feel anything when I had the biopsy- this was done at the dr's practice, not in a hospital. I felt a tiny nip but nothing else and was fine for the rest of the day. I was told to report any pain etc in case there was any infection, for up to 3 weeks afterwards.

The hysteroscopy was pretty pain free. It took a while- 30 minutes- as my cervix had decided to close for the day! I have heard other women get it over with in 5-10 mins. I felt no pain when the biopsy was taken again just a slight nip for a second.

I think you need more information. If you have a polyp and they remove it as part of the procedure than a GA might be best - but depends on size of polyp. If they are leaving the ploy alone then I'd go for it all 'cold' as a GA is much more complicated and if you have heart and BP problems, all the more risky.

Can you not talk to the consultant who did the biopsy- or whoever did it- and ask what they plan to do re. the polyp? It's really not good enough that they can't read the notes! I know drs handwriting etc but it's a bit ridiculous that there is this confusion over what is there and what is not.

RockinHippy Thu 15-Jan-15 15:03:08

Thank you pinfrocks that's reassuring & yes, you are right, I should have written Hysterscopy - not sure if that was autocorrect, or me blush (lot of pain & lack sleep)

& you are right, I'm unhappy that they couldn't read my notes, so couldn't tell me the details, but I was in a real state when I finally got someone to listen & act n my haemorrhaging with severe low abdo pain (despite mine & DHs protests & her barely checking me over at all, OHH Dr misdiagnosed a urinary infection & I had to go back the next day to the GU clinic hmm)

So I don't actually know who the doctor was that I saw - I was hoping DH was taking it all in, but realise now, though he seemed together on the surface, he was in a complete panic as he realised they thought it was cancer

I'm happier not to have a GA if I don't need it, but local anaesthetic doesn't tend to work well for me (EDS) & I even though I was already on strong pain killers, I really felt the biopsy as a temporary very severe pain - like I said above, if that's it, I can cope, but when I had the ultra sound & biopsy, they mentioned that they would do a minor op on the fibroids, at the same time as the Hysterscopy if that was the best option - I also have other prolapse issues, that will make it all more difficult - they struggled with the scans, so that's the bit that worries me.

Since the fibroids were mentioned, I've looked into it more & if they are big & I need a bigger op, this could be a blessing in disguise as for years, I fit the symptoms to a tee, including pre menopause hellish periods too, so I'm worried if they get it wrong & lose part of the info, then I could miss out on a cure for some of my troublesome health issues - (currently sat here looking & feeling very heavily pregnant, unable to eat much with hellish heartburn & I still have the severe period like low abdomen pain coming & going)

I should hopefully get a letter in a day or do from the clinic confirming my appointment, so I will ring & speak to them again when I have a contact

Thanks again flowers

pinkfrocks Thu 15-Jan-15 15:15:32

I understand your concerns. Another tiny point is that if you are awake then you are in some kind of control- you can tell them if it gets too much or if you want them to stop etc. A nurse who looked after me post-procedure told me that in her experience ( not at the hospital I was in, which is excellent) that drs do take more care if the patient is awake rather than under a GA.

They won't remove a fibroid unless it's big and really causing problems. A friend of mine had one removed for heavy periods and was no different after the op! You don't need a fibroid removing if it's not a bother anyway- I have one and never knew until my dr kindly told me - general exam for other stuff. Also they may have told you- fibroids shrink post meno so if yours hasn't yet then it may well do any time.

Good luck whatever happens. flowers

PJ67 Thu 15-Jan-15 23:29:57

I had a hysteroscopy just before Christmas and the doctor doing it told me to stop him if it became too painful as they could do it under general anaesthetic. This made me quite worried but I can honestly say it wasn't too bad. I was able to chat to the nurse throughout and never once thought I couldn't cope with it.

SophieBarringtonWard Thu 15-Jan-15 23:36:06

I had a hysteroscopy, it was fine (I do have a high pain threshold), I actually enjoyed seeing my womb on screen! I took paracetemol beforehand but no other pain relief.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: