Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

What the chuff is up with me?

(20 Posts)
iklboo Wed 14-Jan-15 11:05:02

Woke up this morning feeling a bit dizzy, bit of earache. Took painkillers, had breakfast, went to work.

As morning gone on got dizzier & dizzier, very nauseous, still earache. Nearly fainted in work & got sent home. Had something to eat & drink but still same. Can only think / function if I'm lying near flat. Still nausea & dizzy. Drs this afternoon but any ideas?? Feel like I've had a skinful!

StrikesMatches Wed 14-Jan-15 11:16:28

Sounds like vertigo or the start of an ear infection. Hope you're better soon.

dementedpixie Wed 14-Jan-15 11:16:40

could be ear infection affecting your balance which would cause the dizziness and the nausea

WowOoo Wed 14-Jan-15 11:17:45

Ear infection or a migraine coming on? If your sense of balance is affected it can make you feel sick.

Try resting bad ear on a warm heat pack or hot water bottle in a dark room. Get well soon.

Timeforabiscuit Wed 14-Jan-15 11:19:44

Sounds like labyrinthitis - dh had it a while back and it was horrible, hope you start feeling better soon, it was triggered by an ear infection that makes the fluid in your ear thicker, so your sense of balance is off.

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 14-Jan-15 11:21:40

I was just about to say labrynthitis as well.

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 14-Jan-15 11:22:06

*Labyrinthitis.

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 14-Jan-15 11:22:45

Sounds like labrynthitus and its a bitch to have, DP had to work from home for a couple of days when I had it because I physically could stand up right without falling over, I felt like I had indulged in a bottle of vino or 2 to myself.

iklboo Wed 14-Jan-15 11:43:09

Def not migraine. Different warnings for that. Friend had labrynthitis last year. Was awful. I'll see what doc says. Thanks ladies.

iklboo Wed 14-Jan-15 16:34:01

And the verdict is.....

Labyrinthitis.

Thanks ladies for the heads up (pardon the pun). Signed off work for a week to begin with, prochlorazapine (sp?) for nausea & vomiting.

CyclopsBee Wed 14-Jan-15 20:49:28

thanks for you

My dad has this years ago, he called an ambulance as he felt so awful and didn't know what was happening,
He thought he'd overdosed on the lemsips blush

Hope you feel better soon

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 14-Jan-15 20:57:15

Do be careful! I fell down the stairs when I had it blush luckily I wasn't carrying a child at the time.

I hope you feel better soon, sleep is the best thing I found.

iklboo Wed 14-Jan-15 21:08:26

Thanks all. I've decided on the 'come downstairs on my bum' like a toddler if I need to go downstairs. DH is in quite a bit for the next few days so can take over where I need him to. And no kettles!

WowOoo Thu 15-Jan-15 11:02:09

Hope you feel better soon. I've had it, but couldn't remember the name or how to spell it blush
I couldn't walk without holding on to something or someone for a few days. Good job you've got some meds now.

iklboo Thu 15-Jan-15 12:26:51

Day 2 in the 'feels like drank a pint of gin while on the waltzers' house. It feels worse today! In bed, went down to make a sandwich (DH working) - took 45 minutes. Kept having to sit down.

Back in bed now. I ain't moving again unless it's to stagger go to the loo.

I have sent DH my fantasy shopping list which involves all the stuff I'm not supposed to be eating while trying to shift Xmas weight gain & get back into SW target range. Whether he takes the hint........

WowOoo Thu 15-Jan-15 12:31:28

I always it gets a bit worse before it gets better. Hope those drugs kick in.

It was ages ago for me and I can't actually remember how long it took. Just that it was a bit scary. ( was abroad too and couldn't speak the language too well)

Longdistance Thu 15-Jan-15 13:26:33

Get your dh to make your lunch tomorrow, and have him put it in the fridge for you, so no more stumbling about for you.

iklboo Thu 15-Jan-15 14:18:21

Good idea Longdistance. He's going to shops now to get lots of nice stuff to cheer me up so he'll be happy to prep me something for tomorrow & pop it in the fridge.

iklboo Thu 15-Jan-15 15:05:37

He's bought me a colouring book, a puzzle book & some crayons to 'stop you being bored crazy' smile

iklboo Fri 16-Jan-15 11:42:46

Lunch has been prepared. Ham sandwich (cut into triangles), small piece of cheese & onion quiche, slice of chilli cheese, kettle chips. Ginger nuts for afters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: