Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

dr mumsnet... beauty spot is itchy

(6 Posts)
nickeljrismybabesitter Wed 14-Jan-15 09:27:04

I've got a beauty spot in my pubic hair.
it's not always been there, and it's never been lumpy, just a flat brown circle of skin.

This morning i noticed that it was itching like mad, when i washed, and it's slightly raised and pinky in the middle.

Part of me thinks "great, I've been bitten again!" because i've been bitten a lot of times this winter in very strange places, and they're always raised and itchy.
But, because this raised and itchy is in a place where there's already a mark, it worries me.

Do I keep an eye on it or make a dr's appointment (straight away i mean)
tia

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 14-Jan-15 14:52:55

A mole can change in weeks or months. As it's itchy, raised and has changed colour, and because now you've noticed it will bug you, for peace of mind I would make a doctor's appointment.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 14-Jan-15 14:55:12

PS Am not medical, I know you said it's a beauty spot not a mole but as they say to check out changes in freckles I think the same applies.

nickeljrismybabesitter Wed 14-Jan-15 21:08:25

i think it's more of a freckle, yes, it's not raised at all, it's just a pigment.

thanks, i think i'll have to have it checked. smile

gordonpym Wed 14-Jan-15 21:32:43

Book an appointment to the GP. I had a very lovely and tiny beauty spot on the side of the nose. It started itching and I went to my GP who said "no, I don't think it's nasty" but referred me nonetheless to a dermatologist and guess what if was skin cancer, a rare form of BCC basal cell carcinoma. Usually, these are pinkish, white and look like scab, but there is one , the pigmented bcc who looks very different.
So yes go to the GP, but don't worry, they don't spread to deadly forms like melanomas.

SoMuchForSubtlety Wed 14-Jan-15 21:36:41

Any mole that changes colour or size or starts itching or bleeding should IMMEDIATELY be seen by a dermatologist (not a GP). Most likely it's rubbed on your clothes and got a bit irritated, but it's very important to rule out skin cancer as it needs to be treated quite quickly but is easy to cure if caught early.

I say this as an Australian, we have skin cancer awareness drummed into us!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: