Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Vitamn D supplements - how much to take

(15 Posts)
KatyMac Tue 13-Jan-15 07:52:15

I have diagnosed Vitamin D deficiency & the version the GP gave me upset my tummy. So he asked me to find some that agreed with me & work out what dose helps me - I have found a reasonable one (a spray) which seems to be working - but I'm not sure what dose

Currently I'm on 3000 IU a day but I've seen 20,000 twice a week as a recommended dose - which I could do by doubling up, so morning & night - but I didn't understand the twice a week thing rather than the everyday thing

If you supplement how much do you take?

KatyMac Tue 13-Jan-15 10:46:07

Bump

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 13-Jan-15 10:51:49

I take 5000IU a day when I remember. Have never had levels checked. This is a useful site:
www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Kittykat7 Tue 13-Jan-15 11:46:02

A pharmacist should be able yo advise you. I have osteoporosis & take a Vit D & calcium high dose tablet twice a day. It's absorbed better splitting the dose am & pm..
I am in Australia so I'm not familiar with UK brands now. I did have a highly strength tablet that I took once a month. I don't see that Dr anymore now. The tablet had to be made at a compounding pharmacy so I do t know if that option is available in the UK.

DayLillie Tue 13-Jan-15 12:31:04

I am not sure about IU. Mine have ug (u = greek letter mu, ie micrograms). One IU is supposed to be 0.025ug

5-10ug per day is ok for every day, 25ug/day to get levels back up to normal. I take a cheap sainsbury's 25ug.

If your levels are seriously low, the doctor should be able to give you an injection. One gp I saw seemed a bit disappointed mine wasn't that low confused

RockinD Tue 13-Jan-15 12:38:58

How much you need to make your levels replete will depend on your starting point. However, I could get no real help from the NHS when my level was 10 ie 40 points below the beginning of the range, and I found 5,00ius a day raised the level pretty quickly and now, like a previous poster, I take 5,000iu when I remember.

If you’re in the UK, Google vitamin D protocol plus your area and see what comes up. That should give you good up to date guidance.

I had an injection at one point, but it was D2, not D3 and my already perilous level actually went down!

LollyLondon Tue 13-Jan-15 12:46:43

Good question, but don't know the answer I'm afraid. I'm on 20,000iu three times a week, but it's a pain trying to remember. I have reminders on my phone, but a daily dose would be easier to fit into a routine IYSWIM.

I am going to check with GP at next appointment.

KatyMac Tue 13-Jan-15 17:09:47

I'm thinking maybe 3000 every morning and an extra 3000 every other day would be closest to 5000 a day

Pharmacist Suggested RDA which is tiny & even the GP agreed was too low - the GP just suggested messing around with amounts until I was happy hmm

I wasn't that low at 27 so I guess I can be a bit generous for a while to get me up to normal levels - the GP said they wouldn't retest for at least a year, so I won't know if it's working

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 13-Jan-15 17:41:25

I think its pretty hard to overdose in vitD, so you can safely experiment a bit. The vit D council website (above) lists a lab that will test your levels privately.

KatyMac Sun 18-Jan-15 12:45:52

Off to buy some more

DH has decided he needs some too, he might be might as he is Jamaican

Rikalaily Sun 18-Jan-15 12:55:56

When my vit D was low my GP prescribed me Pro D 20,000, I was told to take one a day for 14 days then one a month.

KatyMac Sun 18-Jan-15 18:52:41

Thanks

Miiaaoow Mon 19-Jan-15 22:43:58

I was diagnosed with a severe Vit D deficiency a while back. My level was 10 and i was prescribed 10,000iu a day for a month, then 5000iu a day for 2 weeks after that. Then 2000iu for ages. When I eventually had my levels retested about 12-18mo later - my level was 117!

When I was diagnosed, the factory had burnt down(?) so I was told to buy some from holland and barrett which gave me no side effects.

Anyway, I now take 3000iu a day (if I remember). I think 3000-5000iu daily/every other day is a safe enough amount to keep your levels optimal. I believe the biggest risk is kidney stones, but you'd have to be taking a ridiculous + prolonged dose for that.

I would definitely suggest that you DH takes some. Many white people are deficient, so I would bet money that his levels are pretty low too.

Waffle Waffle. Sorry smile

Icyblue Tue 20-Jan-15 09:59:39

My vitamin D level was deficient at 21 so my GP prescribed 2 weeks of 20,000iu daily and then 3 months of 800iu. After completing the 3 months course I had my blood retested and my vitamin D level went up to 63. I'm now taking 1,000iu as maintenance.

RockinD Tue 20-Jan-15 11:35:06

The protocol I am looking at says 1,000iu once the level is over 75.

I take 5,000iu when I remember (so effectively about three times a week) and like to keep my level over 100.

I am a different person from when it was 10!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: