Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Tonsillitis getting better itself?

(9 Posts)
Malef1cent Mon 12-Jan-15 12:05:19

I got throat ache last Friday and fever. My temperature ranged between 38-39.4 whole weekend. The 38C after paracetamol. This morning I did not have temperature but after couple of hours it was 38. I don't have any puss around my tonsils. I have had bacterial tonsillitis previously and then throat ache was much worse and there was puss. Is this viral one this time or should I go to doctors? I am also wondering if I am getting better as I don't have high fever anymore.

Nolim Mon 12-Jan-15 12:11:33

I would go to the gp just in case.

RockinD Mon 12-Jan-15 12:18:27

It does sound as if you might be getting better on your own, which is good news. I'd see how you feel tomorrow and if you still feel that you are getting better, give the doctor a miss.

Musicaltheatremum Mon 12-Jan-15 17:38:10

Why go to the doctor if you're getting better? If your fever is settling and the ache isn't as bad let your own defences sort you out.

2fedup Mon 12-Jan-15 17:41:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Malef1cent Mon 12-Jan-15 17:53:21

My temperature raised again to 38.8. Throat ache is the same as it has been for last four days. I am just wondering if I should go to doctor and get antibiotics.

Kewcumber Mon 12-Jan-15 17:57:00

Have just recovered from tonsillitis so have up to the minute information grin

NHS recommends no AB's for throat infections whether viral or bacterial as most will clear within 7 days on their own.

If it is exceptionally bad eg can;t eat or drink then I'd go within 2/3 days. As it was I waited 7 days and GP agreed my throat was still infected and gave me penicillin.

Be careful what you wish for - my penicillin was 4 times a day on an empty stomach which means an hour clear of food either side. Trying to take them four times a day was a nightmare.

I took lots of co-codamol though which helped.

Malef1cent Mon 12-Jan-15 18:00:51

Kewcumber: did you have white puss on tonsils? I don't have so it could be viral one. I am just bored having fever.

Kewcumber Mon 12-Jan-15 18:04:40

I started with none then after a few days pretty much my whole throat was coated - even my uvula.

If the fever is the main problem, are you doing the alternating nurofen paracetamol thing? It does help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: