Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Got Strep throat whilst on antibiotics... Would you ride it out?

(8 Posts)
MeeWhoo Sun 11-Jan-15 20:07:25

Chez MeeWhoo we have had a couple of months of constant illness, where every single day either myself, dh, ds, dd or a combination thereof have been ill.
At the moment breastfed dd is on ABs for an ear infection and I just finished today a course of ABs (penicillin) for mastitis. I noticed a couple of days that my tonsils were swollen, which was not surprising as both dcs have had tonsilitis, in the case of ds treated with ABs as he had plaques.

I though my tonsilitis must be viral as I as was already on penicilling, but, as it was getting more painful, I just went to check and I have fecking white plaques on one tonsil. As we are in the middle of flu season here the fist appointment for the GP is for Friday. Is it really necessary for me to go to the drs and get more AB since the last lost didn't really make much difference or do you think I can ride it out? I would prefer not to take more antibiotics if possible...

Micah Sun 11-Jan-15 20:11:41

I don't understand, do you think you have strep throat or tonsillitis? Your title says strep throat, but you don't mention it in your post.

You won't know if you have strep throat without a swab, and as far as I know we don't routinely swab and test in the UK.

It could quite easily be viral. If your GP is friday I'd ride it out until then, you'll either be improving, in which case cancel, or not, in which case keep the appt.

LIZS Sun 11-Jan-15 20:17:40

Strep throat tends to be more serious than a few white flecks. Do you feel unwell, unable to swallow, temp, headache etc? Treat it symptomatically with strong throat lozenges or spray and ibuprofen, gargle if needs be. If it gets worse ring for an earlier appointment. It is possible to get a viral infection on the back of bacterial as you are run down.

MeeWhoo Sun 11-Jan-15 20:20:12

Thanks a lot for your quick replies! I am not a native English speaker, so I think I got the wrong translation with the Strep throat, apologies.

What I mean is tonsillitis with white spots on one side, which I assumed to be bacterial growth, but maybe that's not the case.

When I had tonsillitis in the UK the doctor said it could be either viral or bacterial (that was with white spheres all over my tonsils, a high temp, very painful, unable to eat anything except ice cream - foolishly tried yogurt and it burned like acid! ) The advice then, from the doc, was to gargle a springen and come back if it wasn't better in a week.

You can't know it's streptococcal unless it's been tested - viral tonsillitis is horrible too and symptoms are indistinguishable. Make a Friday apt; you wouldn't be prescribed antibiotics earlier anyway, and if it's viral it may have passed by then. Gargle a spring and eat icecream smile It's horrible though, not worth it even for the free icecream eating pass. Get well soon.

Micah Sun 11-Jan-15 20:26:26

No the spots are pus. Could be viral or bacterial.

Gargle soluble aspirin if you can, or salt water.

That's meant to say gargle asprin - no idea what the odd autocorrect is!

MeeWhoo Sun 11-Jan-15 20:34:11

Thanks again.

I assumed it was bacterial as last time I had it, around 7 years ago I was in the UK and they gave me penicillin which, in turn gave me thrush in my mouth so between the 2 things I lost 5 kg in 8 days, and it was Christmas too!! However, that time I did feel a lot worse, I had a high temperature and could barely swallow, for the time being this is just a bit painful and only on one side.

I will take your advice and keep the appointment but cancel it later in the week unless I start feeling a lot worse. In the meantime I will gargle and I might take up the ice cream as well! (By the way, what are springen?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now