Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Roaccutane, PCOS, Merina Coil, Acne and dermatology, Help?

(9 Posts)
BobsTaintedLeftLeg Sat 10-Jan-15 20:33:38

Hello.

I was referred to dermatology this week because of ongoing spot problems.

I was referred by my GP, to hopefully get roaccutane, I've tried zynert (is it?) stuff in the little dabber bottle, metro-something, the gel like stuff and more often a cycline anti b tablet for 3 or so months at a time.

Dermo appt was pretty much a waste of time.
He said no to the roaccutane.

He asked about my cycle and asked if it was 28days and I said no, it can be longer or about 28 days.
So he said he was going to refer me back to my GP for the Pill instead to regulate my cycle, then I mentioned my merina coil because it has hormones in, which appeared to somewhat confuse the man!

He looked confused and it's a spring yes?
Um, no.....

Then he said he'd refer me back to my gynaecologist (but said it as gina, like in vagina....!)
I said I didn't have one as such and he then asked who put in my "spring" and I said my gp, which again threw him.

Then he asked about PCOs, and I did have investigations for this years ago but nothing ever came of it.

So the outcome of this rather carry on like appt is that he is referring me back to the gp for the Pill.

Having googled I'd guess it'd be dianette?
Would I have to have the coil taken out if I was put on a Pill?
They've never really agreed with me DD1 being prime example! hence the coil.

Sorry for the very long ramble and thanks if you've got this far!

MatildaTheCat Sat 10-Jan-15 21:59:22

Are you in the uk, OP? And was the dermatologist not an English speaker? I have never, ever heard a coil called a spring confused.

Dianette is very good for acne but of course carries other side effects. Equally, Roacutane is hard core and every other option should be investigated first.

DustBunnyFarmer Sat 10-Jan-15 22:05:04

I found Dianette to be magic - completely cleared my acne. Was gutted when I started having other problems and my GP said I couldn't take it anymore. Looked into Roaccutane at ~30 and Dermatologist said I could have it, but we were thinking of starting a family and all the dire warnings about birth defects and risk of depression put me off.

BobsTaintedLeftLeg Sat 10-Jan-15 22:28:51

Yep am in the UK, Dermo was I think Greek or Cypriot, going by the name alone.

It just got a bit daft really, I was referred by the gp to try roaccutane , as I've tried lots of other stuff already.
But he flat out said no.

Then went on about sending me back to the gp for the pill and me asking if that meant the Mirena had to come out and him saying about it being a spring ( and circling his finger!) and then going back to a gynae, because I assume he assumed they put it in, he was most confused by the gp doing it?!

Probably was only in there for ten minutes tops!

Looking it up I'd guess it'd either be dianette or Yasmin? He's talking about?

I don't have much luck with Pills tbh, hence the coil.

I think I'm going to have to try and see the dr who referred me needle, haystack

I've come away more confused than him I think!

mummytowillow Sat 10-Jan-15 22:38:23

I had my Mirena taken out because it gave me spots.

They cleared up within a month, I also have a friend who has acne and she has the Mirena.

Might be worth having it out just to see.

BobsTaintedLeftLeg Sat 10-Jan-15 23:16:54

Oh the spots were there years before the Mirena was!

I fairly sure it's not that.
But thank you.

isitnearlytime Sun 11-Jan-15 08:58:47

The Mirena certainly won't help your acne and may even make it worse. It did mine. It may be worth trying one of the pills that help control acne though don't understand why he wouldn't prescribe Roaccutane if you've had acne for years. Maybe ask to see different dermatologist.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 11-Jan-15 09:26:14

I think you also need up to date investigations to see if PCOS is present, the GP should have also really referred you to such a person like a gynae as well. You need a second opinion in any event. The root cause of the acne needs to be properly determined and if it is PCOS (as appears likely) the way forward is to deal with the PCOS properly.

Dianette and yasmin both have anti androgenic qualities; this is why they are effective in dealing with acne spots.

SomewhereovertheRainbow02 Sun 11-Jan-15 09:38:45

I have had both both roaccutane and dianette and both worked well. The roaccutane was quite hard core in regards to dry skin, I couldn't smile without my lips cracking and bleeding and a form has to be signed to say you will not get pregnant why taking it due to birth defects but it works wonders.
dianette was also great but less troublesome so maybe they want to try you on that first before the stronger option. yasmin did nothing for me and when I came off it all my hair started falling out so would no way go back on that again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now