Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Speech problem

(7 Posts)
Rollercola Sat 10-Jan-15 11:55:22

I've recently noticed that I often get 'stuck' when trying to say something. It's like I can't get the word out and i almost stammer. It's become quite frequent and it's worrying me.

It first happened to me 12 years ago a few days after giving birth for the first time. At the time I put it down to stress and it stopped quite soon after. Its not happened again until a few months ago.

I've been through some stressful times in the last few years but thought I'd come through them all now so I'm not sure whether it's stress-related or something else.

I've been taking an ssri since sept and also now a daily migraine preventative so it's possibly a side effect, but I'm still worried it's something more serious. My memory is also very bad and I get quite distressed when I can't remember the name of something/someone.

Is it worth a Drs visit?

mawinter Sat 10-Jan-15 18:21:25

Not sure what this is, but would sure love to hear any ideas anyone has. I have been having this too, only mine is now going on 3-4 years and only getting worse. I also have this brain fog feeling with it as well.

cansu Sat 10-Jan-15 18:25:30

I also have this. It first started when my ds was diagnosed as autistic. It varies in severity and I think is related to stress.

lljkk Sun 11-Jan-15 12:05:12

I say the wrong words. Like mirror for shelf, just weird words that only slightly are similar to what I meant. Or when I'm very stressed I can't find words at all. I half thought I'd had an undiagnosed stroke, but now I put it down to long term sleep deprivation & just plain getting older.

LifeHuh Sun 11-Jan-15 12:35:37

Definitely sounds worth a Drs visit- they can reassure you or if anything else needs checking out you can get it done- sounds as if you have other stuff going on with the ssi and the migraines.
Talk to the GP!

Stupidoldfool Sun 11-Jan-15 13:24:54

Could be something as simple as underactive thyroid.

Rollercola Sun 11-Jan-15 14:49:34

Thanks, I'll mention it next time I'm at the drs. I take citalopram for anxiety and have suffered from migraines for years so maybe it's related.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now