Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Painful blocked ears - any thing more I can do?

(4 Posts)
maggiso Fri 09-Jan-15 20:06:21

I have had the heavy coughy cold (for 3+ weeks) that everyone seems to have, but my ears have joined in now. My right ear (and all the side of my face)is very painful and its made sleep impossible, and I cannot hear on that side ( although I have constant white noise). It feels like it needs to burst, my left is just grumbly. I have had burst ear drums before from middle ear infections and expected my right to go - but so far its only weeped a little.
So I have been taking Sudafed (phenylephrine HCL 12mg) as a decongestant, paracetamol,(I can't take neurophen) tried breathing menthol steam and olbas oil (not together), and a warm compress. Anything else I can try? I have made an appointment to see the GP as I suspect I need antibiotics for the concurrent sinusitis, but its still several days wait. I have been feeling shivery, sick and dizzy despite all this.

Any thing more I can do? Have I overlooked something?
Any one got any ideas?

Seaoftroubles Fri 09-Jan-15 22:19:44

I would press for an emergency appointment asap or go to a walk in clinic as it definitely sounds as though you need antibiotics-you don't want to risk a burst ear drum!

MiniJellyBeans Fri 09-Jan-15 22:32:15

You could try a decongestant nasal spray in place of the Sudafed, maybe while waiting for your consultation. They're available over the counter (even in some supermarkets I would think), and the active ingredients you're looking for are xylometazoline or oxymetazoline (brand names would include Otrivine and Sinex but there are others which may be cheaper eg. Boots own brand). Oral decongestants like Sudafed are not very effective because the dose is limited by drowsiness. It sounds as if the congestion could be mainly in the middle ear, as you've had before, and using a nasal spray gets the decongestant directly into the middle ear and sinuses via the nasal passages (they're all connected together!). Sympathies, it sounds grim.

maggiso Fri 09-Jan-15 23:09:25

Thank you both of you. I knew I had forgotten something! I have a suitable nasal spray hopefully.(Off to search it out) I will consider going to the out of hours (especially as my left ear is getting worse) as my gp appointment is still some days away - the earliest they could give me (a weeks wait at the time). If it was for DS I would not hesitate to organise OOH- but it seems OTT for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now