Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you have PCOS without having difficulty conceiving ?

(5 Posts)
olaflikeswarmhugs Fri 09-Jan-15 19:51:49

I have most of the symptoms:

Acne
Overweight
Very bad facial hair
Irregular periods (with or without birth control)

However , I have conceived once by accident and once in 6 months of trying so I'm not sure I actually have it .

How is it diagnosed ?

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 09-Jan-15 20:12:35

Usually by blood tests and an internal ultrasound scan to assess the state of the ovaries.

Polycystic ovaries can appear to have a "ring of pearls" appearance and be larger than normal ovary size (which is about the size of a walnut). The cystic follicles however, do disappear only to be replaced by further cystic follicles.

Many but not all women with PCOS can find it difficult to conceive. It is truly a very individualistic disorder that does affect each woman with it very differently.

WhenMarnieWasThere Fri 09-Jan-15 20:15:31

My friend has it. Was tested for it and was diagnosed metformin to help while they tried conceiving.

Before reissuing a prescription they asked for a negative pregnancy test.
Only it was a positive test.

She thought that it was great that the medication had helped her conceive. Except when she was given a scan she wasn't just a few weeks along, she was over 4 months gone and had conceived before taking the first of the medication.

olaflikeswarmhugs Fri 09-Jan-15 20:20:42

What do the blood tests show up Attila ?

Marnie that's a fab story must have been a lovely surprise for your friend grin

CurlsLDN Fri 09-Jan-15 20:45:41

Yes. I have it, was diagnosed by internal ultrasound. Got pregnant on honeymoon! (was using protection before getting married)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now