Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any asthma nurses or doctors who can clarfiy for me please?

(3 Posts)

I've just had a spirometry test done by the practice nurse. Been waiting several weeks for it. Had asthma as a teenager,it 'disappeared' then I had a chest infection in November that made my breathing awful,ended up on steroids and inhalers and was told I still had asthma but to have a test when I was well again.

I am now but have had on and off wheezing,occasional breathlessness and cough etc since.

Anyway,I had my test and it said my breathing pattern is restrictive. The nurse said it means I clearly do still have asthma and made a doctors appointment for me for next Thursday for further inhalers.

However,not knowing much about spirometry and wondering what all the numbers are,I have just been googling about in online to learn and everything appears to be saying that an obstructive result indicates asthma or copd whereas a restrictive result indicates other diseases that mean the lung capacity is decreased rather than the narrowing airways of asthma.

Can anyone please clarify as I'm now worried sad

Clobbered Fri 09-Jan-15 13:37:00

Step away from Dr Google and go back for a proper chat with your GP. It's much more likely that your asthma has re-emerged as a result of the recent chest infection than you have a previously undiagnosed lung disease. Hope you feel completely better soon.

You're right with Dr Google! I always tell people off for doing it,but just wanted to know what's what and, unfortunately, ended up worried that something is wrong the nurse got it wrong etc.

Shouldn't have looked,should I? blush

On the positive side,my peek flow is up from 200 it was a few weeks ago and is now 333!

Positive thoughts not Dr Google,right? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now