Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Pain/symptom Management?

(16 Posts)
KatyMac Thu 08-Jan-15 20:24:58

The doctor has suggested this & as I have been in a lot of pain & had a lot of symptoms for a number of years I went along with it

What can I reasonably expect? Will I be offered counselling or should I ask for some? Or is it just drugs?

How much support should I expect? Or is it tablets & come back if it doesn't work?

He seemed to be talking about a 'thing' or a process rather than just take the pills but I'm not sure

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-Jan-15 21:17:52

I guess he was talking about a pain management programme which are multidisciplinary things which are very much not about the drugs

MatildaTheCat Fri 09-Jan-15 08:09:51

I think it varies very much from area to area and depends on local resources. I have done a pain management course and have to admit going along with scepticism. It was actually very helpful. I still meet my fellow group members for a coffee once a month.

Do not expect to 'get better' or even reduce medication. Much more about learning to live alongside your pain and building your life around it. My course was run by a psychologist and a physio. There was a lot of mindfulness.

Having done the course a number of other doors opened including free counseling with a pain psychologist, Alexander Texhnique lessons (8 free sessions one to one) and lots of other things I haven't done such as exercise classes and acupuncture.

I had to attend a taster session and an hour long psychologist appointment before being offered a place. So if you do get offered such a place do value it and go along with a very open mind.

KatyMac Fri 09-Jan-15 08:25:08

Thanks I guess I'll wait & see what happens

clarella Fri 09-Jan-15 13:26:14

Hugs katy I remember a previous thread.

I may be following you to the pain clinic myself hmm fx it helps you xx

KatyMac Fri 09-Jan-15 14:49:57

I haven't been referred anywhere tbh - I got the impression the GP was doing it

KatyMac Sat 10-Jan-15 21:15:53

4 days in & I'm cautiously optimistic

No significant side effects & I seem to be sleeping better

I may have to increase the dose for pain relief but I think I'll give it a few weeks first in case it's cumulative

clarella Sun 11-Jan-15 17:11:58

Oh were you given pain killers? I assumed it was a CBT like course.

KatyMac Sun 11-Jan-15 19:24:24

I thought it would be a combination

But he's seemed to have decided on a pain inhibitor (I think) with the possibility of combining it with the pain killers I already take (but haven't needed as much) and then maybe a course (possibly)

clarella Sun 11-Jan-15 20:59:56

Ah I see. What's a pain inhibitor as opposed to painkiller?

I would imagine he'd refer on for the CBT bit?

There's a very good section on the scot nhs website "mood juice" on pain management. It's essentially CBT. I need to read it again myself actually!

http://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/chronicpain.asp

clarella Sun 11-Jan-15 21:01:21

I hope it continues to work well for you smile

KatyMac Mon 12-Jan-15 08:04:36

What's a pain inhibitor as opposed to painkiller no idea but it may be working......

I'll have a look at that, thanks

CMOTDibbler Mon 12-Jan-15 09:12:34

Drugs like gabapentin and lyrica aren't painkillers, but have an action on the way your brain processes pain iyswim

KatyMac Mon 12-Jan-15 17:13:47

I'm on amitriptyline which is an anti-depressant but at the low dose I am taking it doesn't have an anti-depressant effect (apparently) - however I'm a lot more cheerful (possibly due to less pain & discomfort). There is a possibility that it is a placebo but tbh I'm not sure I care

I'm certainly sleeping better, waking refreshed and have more energy, my IBS is better and I'm expanding my diet & I am either in less pain or the pain is effecting me less

But this is very much a honeymoon period and I keep waiting for the axe to fall

clarella Mon 12-Jan-15 21:56:46

Ah yes, a friend is on that for awful back pain following a nasty virus. She loves it.

If thinks don't improve / get diagnosed for me I'm going to ask for it myself.

I don't think it's a honey moon phase, I've heard it's great smile

clarella Tue 13-Jan-15 22:00:17

Thinking back, my friend had to come off it for some reason (possibly pregnancy?) and did experience significant emotional stuff while she did (though if it was pregnancy it might have been that) and so sumised it had been giving a slightly anti depressant effect without her being aware of it.

But if you're happy and feeling less pain that's great smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: