Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Difference in hearing tests?

(6 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Thu 08-Jan-15 16:29:02

Does anyone know if the actual tests carried out are different between an NHS one and one of those hearing centres on the High Street?

Or do they both follow standard tests?

spottyblanket Thu 08-Jan-15 23:48:04

Not sure about high street testing, but from experience NHS audiology at hospital/ hearing&balance centre is high tech & accurate - and they're not the ones trying to sell you an expensive hearing aid.

Jungfraujoch Fri 09-Jan-15 09:34:04

Thanks Spotty - that's interesting. My DM has been tested at both and the high street one stated impairment in both ears which would very much benefit from hearing aids. Tester even commented she thought DM was sometimes lipreading.

NHS said no aids required at the moment! I need to get the lowdown from DM on exactly what testing was carried out.

PianoCat Fri 09-Jan-15 10:35:41

Could be the cut off they use - for children then won't give hearing aids in our PCT if hearing does not drop below 20dB in the test but that is not perfect hearing. Cut off is probably higher for the elderly otherwise they'd have to give them to nearly everyone. What you really need is to see the print out of the hearing tests (shows hearing level at different frequencies for each ear) then you can make your own decision to either push nhs or pay for her own.

Jungfraujoch Fri 09-Jan-15 16:46:00

Thanks Piano. Unfortunately DM has thrown away the print out from the high street lot because, in her words, "they're just after my money and conning me".

The NHS one I think registered her at 35, and if I understand correctly the doc told her 30 and under would potentially mean a hearing aid. He said her hearing is at the acceptable level for her age. In my mind I'm thinking because the levels are quite close this is why the hearing centre suggested hearing aids, plus of course they want to sell her one!

From her description both tests were the same. She says she hasn't got the money to pay for a hearing aid so I guess we will have to carry on shouting at her until she reaches the NHS level!! What concerned me more was that the hearing centre commented that they thought sometimes she was lip reading. But of course she won't have that and accuses U.S. of not talking clearly! Hey, ho, the joys of ageing parents!

PianoCat Sat 10-Jan-15 10:18:56

35 db is in the mild to moderate hearing loss range and so it was more than reasonable for the private clinic to want to sell her hearing aids - the NHS will give them to children at this level (in some PCTs) because their education and development will be severely disrupted by this level of hearing loss however whilst it is annoying for you and your mum I guess that since the NHS does not have unlimited funds and she can still get by at this hearing level by asking for people to repeat themselves etc. Have you had a look at the www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk - apparently they were the RNID and should provide a lot more information than I can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now