Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

anyone use a moon cup?

(15 Posts)
JennieR60 Thu 08-Jan-15 07:26:06

Hi

Does anybody here use a moon cup? How do u find it? Is it easy to use? Any information on your experience using one would be great good or bad, I'm considering getting one as tampons and pads are starting to get uncomfortable.

Thanks x

PoppySausage Thu 08-Jan-15 07:31:34

Yep, love mine and found it easy and reliable

FunkyBoldRibena Thu 08-Jan-15 07:32:44

I did for around 3 years before the big M and wished I had bought one years before.

CaramellaDeVille Thu 08-Jan-15 07:32:45

Yes. It's amazing, really! I recommend them to everyone!

EugenesAxe Thu 08-Jan-15 07:39:14

I use them to be first defence against the phenomenal amount of blood that drops out of me each month. When I use the cup I will need 2-3 night time pads in 24hr. When I don't I can soak one in a few hours and so use twice the number.

That is only on the couple or so mega-days; they are good for when I am light but I'd never rely on them to stop everything coming down. Always use a liner or pad as well.

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Thu 08-Jan-15 07:43:13

I used one (been pg or bf for 3yrs now so not so much recently!) and I'm another one who wished I'd bought one earlier.

I found it took me a couple of cycles to get the knack of it, and I discovered after dd's birth that you need to make sure you have the right size - the little one doesn't work so well if your insides are saggy!! But basically I think it's The Way Forward smile

JennieR60 Thu 08-Jan-15 07:57:24

Thanks ladies I'm so convinced by everything I read, I've had 2 natural births so definatly need a bigger size lol, can u feel it when it's in because it sits lower than a tampax? How do u keep it clean?

I love the idea of no sanitary waste and don't wanna spend my money on then horrible uncomfortable things anymore! grin [gr

Lovewhereilive Thu 08-Jan-15 07:59:15

Me -think it's a brilliant invention and wish I'd got one sooner. Easy to use, can't feel it.

niqnet1 Thu 08-Jan-15 10:32:57

I didn't get on well with it. Could never insert it comfortably. I'm really tiny down there though. Always have to have the smallest speculum they can find for internal examinations.

worldgonecrazy Thu 08-Jan-15 10:47:26

Another fan here. Sometimes I need to wear a pad on the first heavy day and first night, but otherwise it is great.

JennieR60 Thu 08-Jan-15 11:51:11

I've just ordered one! Hope it will be OK. I like the idea of having no sanitary waste at all and not having to buy tampons and pads. Hope I get on alright.
Xx

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Thu 08-Jan-15 18:50:45

If it's in right you can't feel it, no. You may need to cut the stem it comes with right off to be comfy. Then you just take it out by getting hold of the base and squeezing. Important to do the squeezing thing anyway on removal to break the seal - just tugging pulls down on an airlock which makes it feel like someone's sucking your insides out with a Hoover. You only make that mistake once!!

Keeping clean - shove it in some milton or boil it in a pan for 5mibs in between each cycle, and just rinse out with hot water and reinsert while you're using it. You can even just wipe it out with loo roll if you're in a public loo or something and don't want to exit/enter again.

worldgonecrazy Fri 09-Jan-15 09:08:17

Forgot to mention, when you insert it, you need to twist it at least a half turn and pull it downwards a millimetre or two. This will ensure a good seal.

OrangesJuicyOranges Fri 09-Jan-15 22:47:05

I've had mine 16 years. I honestly can't think why everyone doesn't use them. Saves a fortune, much more comfortable, no leaking. I love mine. I don't have to twist and pull to get a seal, I've never heard that before. I'm a teacher and always explain it alongside towels and tampOns when I do sex ed in the hope that they will become more mainstream.

lovelyredwine Fri 09-Jan-15 22:50:08

I use one too and really like it. V easy to use after a few goes and you don't need to remember to buy tampons etc. Would def recommend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now