Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thrush- at wits end

(19 Posts)
niqnet1 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:20:06

Hi,

Been ill for 4 weeks now (2 x bouts tonsillitis, mouth sore infection now this last week Thrush). I've only had vaginal thrush 4 times in my life but had ductal thrush when breast feeding which was hard to shift. Since then, this is my second bout of vaginal thrush. Can's seem to shift it this time and symptoms are worse than before- really red and inflamed, white patches near bottom of labia which feel like blisters, heavy discharge and major itching. Doctor wasn't concerned at all and prescribed canesten hc and said just try a pessary again. I've now tried 3 pessary- first 2 didn't dissolve and fell out whole in the morning. 3rd one (last night) was soft gel pessary which started leaking out after an hour and half doesn't seem to have worked either. Last time I had thrush the gel pessary worked pretty much straight away.

Got another Doc appt booked for friday but wondered if anyone has any ideas. Already cut out bread and sugar and taking probiotic (started this after breastfeeding disaster and generally careful with diet anyway) and started garlic capsules on monday. Only thing that seems to ease symptoms is bath with tea tree oil but can't do that when at work tomorrow.

Help!

ShatnersBassoon Wed 07-Jan-15 13:23:08

Have you tried the Canestan tablet? I got stubborn thrush after taking antibiotics, and the tablet worked. You can just buy it over the counter.

worldgonecrazy Wed 07-Jan-15 13:31:28

Tincture of myrrh can ease the symptoms - you need a few drops in a cup of water, use either as a douche or a mouth rinse, depending on where the thrush is.

OpiesOldLady Wed 07-Jan-15 13:42:52

I suffered with constant thrush for 8 months. Was on daily thrush tablets and did everything I could think of to get rid.

Then someone on MN mentioned Acidopholous. It has revolutionised my life. Buy it from good health food shops, it's expensive - I paid approx. £25 for 90 tabs, but by Christ, it works. You want the strongest one that is kept in the fridge.

Good luck.

niqnet1 Wed 07-Jan-15 13:48:07

Do you just take it when having a thrush attack or everyday? Already taking Acidophilus capsules but maybe not strong enough.

OpiesOldLady Wed 07-Jan-15 19:16:24

Everyday as it helps keep it away.

BeeBawBabbity Wed 07-Jan-15 21:42:28

The tablet works so much better than the pessaries. Buy the cream to ease symptoms externally too.

Gunpowder Wed 07-Jan-15 21:46:08

It sounds a bit weird but coconut oil massively helped me. (Has to be the extra Virgin organic stuff, you can buy from amazon/health shop/big supermarket.) I started using in lots in my cooking but also applying it topically. Like teatree it's an anti fungal.

Gunpowder Wed 07-Jan-15 21:46:46

Oh and I has struggled with on off thrush for YEARS.

Gunpowder Wed 07-Jan-15 21:47:04

*had not has.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 07-Jan-15 21:51:34

Natural yoghurt on your bits will stop the itching, but I second the oral tablet.

DaygloYellowLady Wed 07-Jan-15 21:57:51

Get it checked out at a GUM clinic, just to make sure it is thrush. It might be that the treatment Isn't working because it's not right for what you've got.
Apart from that Balance Activ gel worked for me.

Maiziemonkey Wed 07-Jan-15 22:21:38

old trick of live yoghurt topically does work although is messy- do bother to refridgerate as the cold soothes also. Use the pill, you can get tescoes own or boots own, its cheaper.

whyhasmyheadgonenumb Wed 07-Jan-15 22:26:34

Fluclonazole. I buy it online, it's the same as the canestan pull without the brand new - few quid, job done.

whyhasmyheadgonenumb Wed 07-Jan-15 22:27:27

Fluconazole, sorry crap speller.

OttiliaVonBCup Wed 07-Jan-15 22:29:03

Start ironing your knickers.

BigPawsBrown Wed 07-Jan-15 23:44:22

I get thrush about once a year and it is often persistent. My November bout has now gone for good and I am symptom free.

Firstly I agree with the acidophilus - your thrush is no doubt caused by your antibiotics.

Here's what I do:

Soft gel pessary at bedtime, at weekend when can have longer sleep. Put it in in bed and discard the applicator by side of bed - gross I know but it means it'll be in you and not move for at least a few hours.

Same night - thrush pill (internal).

Next few days: sleep naked, cotton pants, no tights or skinny jeans, apply cream at the entrance to and slightly inside your vagina, and then all over the vulva too.

Repeat all of the above every 7 days til it goes (my GP basically said repeat treatments were fine if you knew it was thrush and to keep going). If you go to same pharmacist they will tell you to get tested for diabetes etc so I have to go to another pharmacist!! But for me when I get it it's just really stubborn (and comes back because I at work I a) wear tights and b) sit and don't move for often 12 hour stretches!).

niqnet1 Thu 08-Jan-15 10:29:35

Thanks so much everyone x

DayLillie Thu 08-Jan-15 17:11:56

I have been using multi-gyn actigel (can also get flora plus) as well as a tablet, to discourage further attacks.

Make sure you eat plenty raw foods with your acidophilus - give them something to live off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now