Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Needles at home - regulations?

(5 Posts)
Wheresmycardude Wed 07-Jan-15 00:56:12

Hi all Ive changed names for this as don't want to get caught out but would really like some advice.

I live with a nurse. I have a child he has been away and a noise was coming from his room my child went in nothing unusual he goes in to ask questions and wake him up offer drinks food etc, as we all get on well. I realised and went to get my boy out ( it was a broken phone going off ). He's not the cleanest of people btw and my boy picked something up off the floor while I'm ushering him out. It was a needle - for injections!
They were actually all over the floor! Mostly with lids and some just the lids!
Now I knew he had needles and things due to medical reasons but I was told he had one of thoses yellow sharps bins for disposal.

There were loads! Surely he could be struck off as a nurse if my son had been hurt by one?
When he gets back I will have to ask that he cleans up or has a lock on the door so no one can get hurt.
He's quite hard to convince about cleaning and keeping things away from children so if I could back this up with medical laws? Rrgulations? It would really help I don't want to ask any doctors or Heath professionals I know. I wouldn't want him to get in any trouble or wouldn't this count as its at home?

Lweji Wed 07-Jan-15 00:59:51

What exactly do you mean when you say you live with a nurse? Just same house or are you partners?

I'd be kicking them out or moving out, depending on the circumstances.

NatalieBee Wed 07-Jan-15 01:01:45

When you say medical reasons, is it an illness he has or are they took from his place of work? As theft from anyplace of work is illegal but not putting your own medicinal needles not on a sharpes bin is not..

Wheresmycardude Wed 07-Jan-15 01:08:28

House share its not my place to kick him out. I'm assuming tgeybare given to him by his doctor for his own use for his condition.

Lease is up soon so this will play are part in if i renew my half.
I know its up to him to do what he wants in his own room and I know my son shouldn't of gone in there with him being present.
I think it might be a case of buy a cheap lock and ask him nicely to keep it safe.
Was just hoping I could have reasoned with him,

Palooza Wed 07-Jan-15 01:18:00

"Look, I know my DC shouldn't've gone in your room but there were needles all over the floor - I'm worried what would happen if there was an emergency and somebody needed to gain entry to your room, or you stuck yourself while cleaning up".

I had a diabetic boyfriend ages ago and he had a little sharps bin but it could've gotten knocked over or something, or he's just not being vigilant. If they had their caps on then that's not quite the same as a load of syringes sticking out of a carpet though.

Is your DC old enough to understand about not going into other people's rooms without knocking? It's not a bad lesson to learn in any case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now