Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Should I finally go to the Dr?

(11 Posts)
BusyCee Tue 06-Jan-15 08:55:43

Since the beginning of November I've had a pretty unpleasant cold. It's continually changed in character, but I've been continually unwell. Over the course of the last 8wks of so I've had coughing fits that are so violent and last so long they make me sweat and occasionally throw up, temperatures, streaming snot, laryngitis, thick catarrh with earache, sore sinuses, pain when I lean forward etc,. I had antibiotics in December for a tooth infection, which the Dr said might improve the cold, but although I thought I was getting better, I'm not. The last two days I've had a temperature, sore skin, aching muscles, return of the heavy catarrh.

So. Part of me thinks it's just a cold, and I'll get over it. Another part of me thinks it's been a really long time and I'm just tired of it (and of being short tempered with the kids because I feel so shite).

Do I bother the Dr or do I sit it out?

Adarajames Tue 06-Jan-15 09:07:54

Poor you, sounds horrid. If you think you might now have a chest infection, or other infection then yes, see the doctor, but if not, then it's likely viral and nothing they can do except tell you to rest lots, take extra vits etc. maybe call surgery and ask if. Doc can call you back for quick phone consult, as they'd probably rather you didn't go in and spread it to others?!
You're probably already doing so, but things to help reduce symptoms / length of cold include:
Vit c and zinc suppliment
Echinacea
Sambucol (black elderberry extract)
Inhaling steam, adding drop of thyme oil can help reduce cough alth steam alone also helps
Sipping hot water can calm cough reflex
Ginger, honey and lemon drinks - manuca honey if you can get it is best
Herbal teas - (what I call my witchy brews!) that include marsh mallow, liquorice
Drinking lots water / fluids

Hope you start to feel better soon x

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 06-Jan-15 09:18:28

I would contact the GP as there may be some underlying bacterial chest infection requiring a course of antibiotics. They may well need to see you in person though. Colds do not last that long.

mabelbabel Tue 06-Jan-15 09:23:21

Yep go to doctor. Unlikely to be a cold that has lasted that long, so they will want to check you out for any secondary infection (sinusitis for example).

lemisscared Tue 06-Jan-15 09:24:40

i think , in my inexperienced and unprofessional opinion, that your sinuses are the source of your problem.

do go to your gp to rule out infection but there are things you can try.

inhalation - just steam or olbas oil.

sinus washes - you can buy these but it is just a saline solution with added bicarbonate of soda snorted up your nose twice a day. my mum has chronic sinusitis and this is all that helps her.

she is prescribed a beconase inhaler too.

feel better soon x

BusyCee Tue 06-Jan-15 09:46:09

Thanks All. I'll call the GP this afternoon. I've been 'steaming my head' for a while with eucalyptus. Will get some menthol too. I've also been taking Floradix and will add some echinacea into the mix. Pah...

Adarajames Fri 09-Jan-15 19:17:34

Hey, how you doing now? Hope you're starting to feel a bit better flowers brew

EthelCardew Fri 09-Jan-15 20:56:23

I've had similar since Oct 17th - onslaught of cold after cold turned into bacterial chest infection and secondary sinus infection. And it's still going strong. I'm on my third set of antibiotics and have done some real damage to chest muscles and ribs coughing violently. Had chest x-ray Wed as the doctor is worried it may turn into pneumonia or something. It's horrible.

Hope you've been seen by the doctor and are getting better.

Christmashamster Fri 09-Jan-15 21:01:18

I'm agreeing the sinus diagnosis. Definitely needs a visit to your GP. Really feel for you, it's a rotten thing to have.

amigagal Mon 12-Jan-15 14:02:35

Did you get any luck with the doctor? I've also had a dreadful cold since October and have now been sent for a chest x-Ray. Doctor seems flummoxed tbh. I've had steroids and antibiotics, inhaler and a nasal spray, and I'm still coughing my guts up most of the day. Add in blocked ears and I'm ready for the knackers yard!

Babytalkobsession Tue 13-Jan-15 09:22:34

I feel your pain OP. Similar to you I had cold symptoms since November (laryngitis, runny nose, blocked nose, achy, tickly cough, then coughing fits as you describe). Last week I was walking with the buggy and started having really scary chest pains. It was terrifying. Called 111 and ended up at a&e for an xray. Turns out I have pnuemonia, I think caused but not recovering properly from any of the other virus' I've had this winter.

Treatment is antibiotics at home (so assuming quite a mild case). I'm on day 3 off work (first sick days in my like!) and still not feeling better. And now nose is streaming again, aches & shivers!

Roll on Spring grin. There seems to be some pretty nasty bugs this year!

Go to Docs - I think you need to get checked. Get well soon flowersbrew

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: