Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worried something is wrong with my heart

(28 Posts)
Loletta Mon 05-Jan-15 20:26:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AMumInScotland Mon 05-Jan-15 20:40:40

Have you considered the menopause as a cause? You're a bit young, but it is one reason for palpitations which doesn't have any connection to anxiety etc. I think they can test hormone levels but not if you're on the pill.

seaoflove Mon 05-Jan-15 20:44:02

It does sound more likely to be anxiety rather than a heart problem. I know I can get palpitations when I'm at rest if I'm unusually stressed.

scoobdoob Mon 05-Jan-15 20:44:59

I think you should ask for a cardiology appointment. Not that I think anything is wrong but if you don't get answers if it is anxiety it will be a vicious circle.

Equally it could be something easily treatable. Book an appointment with your gp and ask for a referal.

beckslovestimmy Mon 05-Jan-15 20:50:10

Maybe your GP could arrange for a cardio call monitor or holter monitor (not sure of spelling). You wear it for a set amount of time and press the record button when ever you get the palpitations. It then records your heart rate and rhythm and is then analysed to see if there is anything abnormal happening. I would push for a referral to a cardiologist. Explain your unable to sleep at night and is having a big impact on your life. They should also do a routine ECG. Hope you get somewhere with the GP tomorrow. If your not happy make an app with another GP for a second opinion.

NurseDoctor Mon 05-Jan-15 20:52:29

I very much doubt they would refer you to a cardiologist right away without ruling other things out. It does sound more anxiety related but if that is the case you may need some prophylactic treatment. Be honest and tell them about the diazepam. You may be worried as you know you shouldn't have taken it but it shows them you aren't coping. It is also worth mentioning being kept up at night, effect on your life is a huge part of assessing severity of symptoms.
Have you had an ECG? This can be done at your GP surgery and would rule out many cardiovascular issues.

BuffyWithChristmasEarings Mon 05-Jan-15 20:54:49

comeagainforbigfudge Mon 05-Jan-15 20:57:40

Ask for an ecg

But also look at your diet. You don't smoke or drink but do you drink a lot of coffee/tea/energy drinks?
If so, are you taking them late evening, before you go to bed? (Too much caffeine in other words)

Maybe keep a diary of it happening as evidence for your gp?

Loletta Mon 05-Jan-15 21:23:33

gamerchick Mon 05-Jan-15 21:30:40

I only get anxiety in my body. I don't feel troubled or upset when it happens most of the time but my body is still pumping adrenaline around my body.

It's ruddy irritating having to stop what I'm doing and take a pill to make it stop.

Don't rule out anxiety, it does sound like the most likely cause. I'm not sure what you can take if you have asthma though.

Littlefish Mon 05-Jan-15 21:38:28

I suffered for years from super ventricular tachaecardia which cause palpatations and long periods of increased heart rate. It used to happen when I was completely relaxed, but there were also some odd triggers like drinking fizzy drinks or very cold drinks, putting my arms above my head in the shower early in the morning (honestly!), going from one extreme of temperature to another (eg. Very hot pub to very cold air outside).

I was eventually referred to a consultant and was lucky enough to have an attack while I was walking out of his office. He could plainly see that it was not a panic attack. Every doctor I'd seen previously had tried to tell me it was anxiety or panic attacks, but I knew it wasn't.

Eventually, I had radio wave ablation, where an extra nerve circuit was burned out of my heart.

Superventricular tachaecardia is unpleasant, but not dangerous. Try googling it to see if it matches your symptoms.

WineCowboy Mon 05-Jan-15 21:43:23

littlefish I get that lots and I also get it when I raise my arms in the shower.... Weird!
OP I have had a heart monitor before but irritatingly nothing at all happened on the day I wore it, happens every other day! angry
I have just got used to it now.

You are doing the right thing by checking it out again. Hope you get the answers you need tomorrow.

Littlefish Mon 05-Jan-15 21:47:02

www.nhs.uk/conditions/supraventricular-tachycardia/Pages/Introduction.aspx

MillieMoodle Mon 05-Jan-15 21:59:59

Is it possible that it could be ectopic heartbeats? I get these and they are horrible. Apparently completely harmless but odd all the same. It feels like my heart misses a beat, then does a double beat to make up for it (which feels like a really strong thud in my chest). To compensate for the missed beat, I tend to inhale sharply, which causes a kind of mild hyperventilation and makes me go dizzy. I can get several at a time and then go weeks without it.
Triggers for me are stress, tiredness, caffeine or alcohol.
Can you ask your GP to refer you for an ECG?

WineCowboy Mon 05-Jan-15 22:01:58

Yes that's what I get too millie

PelicanBriefs Mon 05-Jan-15 22:11:05

I googled budesonide side effects, and if the info is right, they could include insomnia and palpitations (among a million other possibilities they're legally obliged to include!). What does the info leaflet in with the medication say?

Could you see your GP again and get him/her to look up side effects for you while you're there, so you'll know info is from a reputable source? Since the symptoms started when you started this medication, it seems sensible to investigate any possible connection.

If it's not connected, PP's are right to suggest pushing your GP to investigate a bit more. You need peace of mind and relief from symptoms, regardless of what's causing them! Hope you feel better soon.

Loletta Mon 05-Jan-15 22:11:36

MillieMoodle Mon 05-Jan-15 22:12:33

I had an ECG about 10 years ago as I was getting them every day for several hours. Typically, I didn't have a single one during the ECG but it came back clear for anything else which was a relief. They are the weirdest thing and even though I'm sort of used to them now, I still hate it when they start.
Wine, it's good to know there are other people who get it (in the nicest possible way!) as I think DH thinks I'm being over dramatic!

MillieMoodle Mon 05-Jan-15 22:14:01

OP, good luck tomorrow at your GP appointment.

Loletta Mon 05-Jan-15 22:17:32

StandByYourTesselators Mon 05-Jan-15 22:25:01

I've been getting this OP since August. It mostly happens to me at night and stops me sleeping.

Absolutely agree that you need to discuss it with your GP. But if it helps to reassure you, I had a 24 hour ECG where you wear a heart monitor at home. I had an attack of the palpitations lasting 5 hours whilst the monitor was on. I was relieved as I was dreading it not being picked up by the ECG.

The cardiologist reassured me that there was nothing untoward going on. Palpitations happen to many people with perfectly healthy hearts. And from reading menopause threads on here, it seems that many women in middle age report experiencing them.

I've been prescribed a beta-blocker which has stopped the feeling that my heart was going to beat right out of my chest, as the palpitations were causing anxiety which in turn was making the palpitations worse. I don't smoke or drink either, and I've cut down on caffeine.

Loletta Mon 05-Jan-15 22:31:36

charlie0123 Mon 05-Jan-15 22:36:49

I have svt - diagnosed by 24 heart monitor. Horrible feeling like my heart wobbling out of my chest. I had an attack in the docs and heart was beating 224 beats a minute. Not dangerous but feels like you are going to die! Beta blockers now control it. Ask for a 24 monitor op and hopefully you will have an episode during that time.

endoflevelbaddy Mon 05-Jan-15 22:40:06

I would second the SVT mentioned by PP. I was diagnosed when pregnant, and again by fluke as I had a massive attack whilst waiting for an ECG. GP / midwife thought it was normal pregnancy symptoms and only sent me ECG when I asked for a fit to fly letter.
As PP said it's not dangerous as such but is unpleasant and can be triggered by silly things. It can be controlled with medication and potentially cured with ablation if symptoms become problematic. My cardiologist said if you're going to get an arrhythmia you want this one.

Not easy to diagnose unless you capture it on an ECG I don't think, my echo was completely normal and nothing showing in bloods being done for routine pregnancy. Was a bit anaemic which can exacerbate symptoms, but can in its self cause palpatations so not an easy one.

I control mine at the moment using a valsalva maneuvre, where you breathe out without letting any air out if that makes any sense. Could be worth a try next time you have an attack.

I think you're right to go back and push for ECG. Out of interest has your GP done a manual pulse check? There are other arrhythmias such as Atrial Fibrilation that can be picked up by doing this so might help rule some things out.
Best of luck for tomorrow.

Loletta Tue 06-Jan-15 12:50:34

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now