Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is this?

(16 Posts)
Paddingtonthebear Mon 05-Jan-15 16:22:30

Out of nowhere today I am experiencing a sensation of something stuck in my throat. Like when a pill gets temporarily stuck. It's low, almost in my chest bone area. What is this? It's really annoying. I'm not stressed or anxious, I don't get heartburn or digestion problems usually. I did have the same thing for months when I was pregnant a few years ago. Driving me mad angry

Paddingtonthebear Mon 05-Jan-15 19:18:32

Bump? Definitely in upper chest area now

InanimateCarbonRod Mon 05-Jan-15 19:20:15

It could be something stuck from eating. I've also heard of reflux feeling g like something stuck in your throat. Sorry not very helpful.

mawinter Tue 06-Jan-15 07:57:11

What you are describing sounds exactly like acid reflux. Acid Reflux is also a common thing in pregnancy, which explains why you felt it then as well.
I suffer from GERD and when I get a flare up the most common symptom is feeling like I have something lodged in my chest or throat.

Paddingtonthebear Tue 06-Jan-15 10:27:31

Was finally gone when I woke up this morning but it came back after I had a cup of tea. Do I just need to buy some antacids?

allypally999 Tue 06-Jan-15 14:03:35

I had this once and it just went away after a bit though I do have reflux too

www.merckmanuals.com/home/digestive_disorders/symptoms_of_digestive_disorders/lump_in_throat.html

grimbletart Tue 06-Jan-15 18:27:11

Paddington - I can't drink tea these days (or white wine either). Gives me reflux, so if it is reflux tea might well bring it on. Have you noticed it happening after specific foods or drinks?

Paddingtonthebear Wed 07-Jan-15 08:56:47

Has the feeling all day yesterday again. Hard to describe but a sensation of something in the base of my throat/top of chest, like I need to swallow it down, slightly burny rising sensation but no actual pain, no acid taste or anything like that, no cramps or feeling sick. Actually feels like it's in the top of my neck/between top of shoulder blades too. Weird. Tried Gaviscon, rennies and ranitidine, they have made no difference. Drink lots of water, no difference. Went to bed and felt much worse as soon as I lay down flat, definite feeling of bubbling, something moving up from chest to throat. Propped myself up for a bit. Then it stopped, lay down and fell asleep, woke up this morning feeling fine. Had something to eat before attempting a hot drink, it came back as soon as I ate a small biscuit. It's so weird. The only other time I ever had this was in pregnancy. I'm not pregnant though. confused

sunshineandshowers Wed 07-Jan-15 08:59:24

Milk
Gaviscon
Paracetamol
Peppermint tea
More water

Paddingtonthebear Thu 08-Jan-15 19:20:34

So I've still got this. Quite low level, not painful or anything. Just there, present. Diet hasn't really changed, if anything this has been a healthier week with no booze compared to recent weeks confused

RoastedCatNuts Fri 09-Jan-15 19:43:13

If it is GURD you should actually avoid peppermint, any acid foods or drinks and drink plenty of water. No booze, no spices.

I would get this checked out if I were you- it might just be stress related or diet related and you need to make a few changes, but best to be sure earlier rather than later.

RoastedCatNuts Fri 09-Jan-15 19:46:18

GIRD not GURD

Paddingtonthebear Sat 10-Jan-15 19:55:00

I'm missing most of the symptoms for gerd, not sure it's that. Basically a feeling that I haven't fully swallowed something, relieved shortly by a burp but then comes straight back, and a radiating pain between my shoulder blades. Nothing in my stomach at all

RoastedCatNuts Sun 11-Jan-15 02:09:56

Have you tried drinking boiled water with a slice of lemon in, frequently throughout the day?

McSqueezy Sun 11-Jan-15 08:02:06

Hiatus hernia? Tonsil stones?

Paddingtonthebear Sun 11-Jan-15 18:31:29

Doesnt sound like tonsil stones, no horrid taste or anything. Wondering about the hiatal hernia though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now