Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chronic fissure - GP no help

(6 Posts)
Chillibox Sun 04-Jan-15 12:34:43

Hoping someone can give some help or reassurance. I've had three small tears in my perianal region for years now and have never given birth, but I did suffer from moderate IBS for about 8 years.

When I showed my GP last year, sick of the itching 3 times a day, she seemed baffled and said they looked like grazes. She prescribed me steroid cream but when I looked at the details, it said do not use for prolonged periods as it thins the skin. This seems to be the last thing my perineum needs as the skin there is already very stretched and it's almost as if it has split. I hope I never put weight on in that area as it could be a disaster zone!!

Has anyone got any tips for me?

gobbin Sun 04-Jan-15 12:55:29

Did you ever go back to the GP for a follow-up? I'd go back again.

gatewalker Sun 04-Jan-15 13:07:31

Yes. Use organic castor oil. Massage the area (it can be used internally if no contraindications) daily for about 5 - 10 minutes. I work with genital/anal scar tissue remediation in this way, and it can work wonders.

Chillibox Sun 04-Jan-15 13:54:32

Thanks, I'll look into the organic castor oil. I feel I need something to strengthen the skin there. I suspect it gets too dried out then splits and the IBS has made it worse.

If that fails, I'll go back to the clueless GP!

Musicaltheatremum Sun 04-Jan-15 14:06:31

That's a bit rude and unfair labelling her clueless. She has only seen it once and not everything is clinically obvious. Give her a chance. Sometimes I see things and am not sure what they are but can either work it out following response to treatment or if still unsure will refer.

TheCowThatLaughs Sun 04-Jan-15 14:09:27

Apparently coconut oil is good for fissures. I can't speak from personal experience, but a family member said it was miraculous for them! I've recommended it before on a thread here and the op said it definitely helped as far as I remember. You can get it in supermarkets now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now