Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sinusitis with eye and jaw pain

(17 Posts)
SpoonBender Sat 03-Jan-15 21:14:07

Is it normal to feel pressure behind one eye and agonising jaw pain(to the point it hurts to bite) with what I thought was sinusitis? If so what can I do to help with the pain as currently pregnant so only taking paracetamol. Thanks

MiniTheMinx Sat 03-Jan-15 21:17:29

I suffer with chronic sinusitis and regularly have antibiotics, I have to. I get pain in my cheeks, over nose, forehead and the worst pain in the roof of my mouth. I have been told that if the pain effects my eyes or effects vision that I need to be seen immediately. So I would see out of hrs and get some advice.

SurlyCue Sat 03-Jan-15 21:17:51

Yes unfortunately it is common with siniusitus. What worked for me was doing a salt water flush every few hours. And blow your nose really well after. Thats what cleared mine up and should be safe in pregnancy.

SpoonBender Sat 03-Jan-15 21:23:32

My right side feels numb almost with pain. It's not affected my vision I can just feel a throbbing pressure and it hurts to touch my eye. Do you think I would need antibiotics? I've been sniffing vic but I'm so bunged up. I will try some hot water/steam. I've felt like this since New Year's Day convincing myself I will feel better each morning.

MiniTheMinx Sat 03-Jan-15 21:36:29

You need to see a doctor.

snozcumber79 Sun 04-Jan-15 09:24:21

Have you tried a stew inhaler? It helps me to relieve some of the pain. As your pregnant I would definitely go to the Drs though,incase you have an infection.

snozcumber79 Sun 04-Jan-15 09:24:49

That should say steam inhaler lol grin

bluecheque4595 Sun 04-Jan-15 09:27:08

What is a salt water flush? Felt really bad with this for three weeks now. Will try anything. But not Sudafed which has worse side effects than it cures.

Pipbin Sun 04-Jan-15 09:28:11

I had that. I would go to the doctors.

WipsGlitter Sun 04-Jan-15 09:32:32

I got antibiotics and a nasal spray. Pain was terrible.

SurlyCue Sun 04-Jan-15 11:23:51

Salt water flush is cooled boiled water with salt in it. (You can do with just the water). I put it in a sports bottle and you tip your head to the side and squirt it up one nostril. It will go theough your sinuses and come out the other nostril. It will also go down your throat which is uncomfortable but fine. There are youtube videos on how to do it right.

ChristmasPuddin Sun 04-Jan-15 11:27:41

I was like that for two weeks last january, even down to the numb face on one side. Definitely use a nasal rinse, and try holding a facecloth soaked in hot water on your face - that eased the pain considerably for me.

ChestyTheSnowman Sun 04-Jan-15 18:05:06

Yes sinusitis veteran here.
Warm wheat bag held to face/eye...heat and steam help.
Sinus washes, gross but effective.

ChestyTheSnowman Sun 04-Jan-15 18:07:14

Recipe for wash they gave me after surgery .

Pint boiling water.
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar
1tsp bicarbonate

Cool and syringe up affected nostril, gently.
Tilt head and it pours out of other side.

SpoonBender Sun 04-Jan-15 20:33:03

I've been to the out of hours drs today and they think it's infected so started me on antibiotics. Hopefully will feel better soon. Thanks for all your advice.

bluecheque4595 Mon 05-Jan-15 00:35:53

Just tried the salt water flush. Used a Fairy Liquid bottle. Weird sensation, didn't hurt, I assume it did the right thing. Thanks for the info.

AGnu Mon 05-Jan-15 00:49:47

If you don't already have a wheat bag, dry rice in the foot of an old pair of tights works really well. I put mine inside a sock to make it soft. I've spent most of today with either a warm one or one from the freezer flopped on my face thanks to sinusitis! My jaw still feels sore but most of the pressure has finally been relieved. I might try that flush if it's bad again tomorrow, which it probably will be because I won't be alternating between the hot & cold & feeling that delightful squelch & trickle as the pain starts to ease!

Hope your antibiotics kick in soon Spoon! I first had sinusitis while pregnant - would rather go through labour again than live through the awful combination of can't-eat/can't-drink nausea & sinusitis/tonsillitis/ear infection... It all cleared up eventually though! Without antibiotics though because I couldn't stand up long enough to get to the GP & was being stubborn that it was "just a virus"! hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now