Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wisdom teeth pain and removal

(12 Posts)
lazybint Sat 03-Jan-15 19:45:44

I've been in agony for 2 days with my lower right wisdom tooth. There's a flap of gum around it which is red and swollen.

Ibuprofen and strong codiene/paracetamol make it bearable for a couple of hours but the codiene is making me feel sick confused

What else can I try? Can't take aspirin and shouldn't really take the ibuprofen due to stomach issues. Am doing warm salt water rinses.

It needs to come out but after a horrendous extraction a few years ago I'm shit scared of going to the dentist to have it taken out - and positive stories of wisdom tooth removal?

lazybint Sat 03-Jan-15 19:47:19

*any

ReeseWithoutHerSpoon Sat 03-Jan-15 19:47:25

It's probably an abcess or infection (or both).

You need anti biotics. I had (the awful) metranidrazole back in the summer. Vile. But does the job. Get thee down the emergency dentist.

Olivo Sat 03-Jan-15 19:50:24

I had similar, it only really responded once I had heavy duty antibiotics and painkillers prescribed by the dentist. The infection in mine was trapped underneath the unerupted bit, it was growing in I sideways.

I got an urgent referral to have them out, day surgery for me a one was very close to the nerve and i am a wuss about going to the dentist. It was totally fine and the healing went well. The holes were stitched, I was given amoxicillin, as a precaution I guess, but all went well. Went back to work 5 days later. 10 months ago now.

PoshPenny Sat 03-Jan-15 20:05:52

Is it not possible to have it (or all of them) taken out under general anaesthetic? I had mine done that way, admittedly over 25 years ago, much better off without them.

poppetina Sat 03-Jan-15 20:17:26

Positive story: I had a lower wisdom tooth extracted at the hospital, just with a local anaesthetic. It was a breeze and I couldn't believe it when he showed me the tooth, I didn't realise he had properly started!

Please go to see a dentist ASAP, your pain sounds awful.

KatieKaye Sat 03-Jan-15 20:22:55

I had a horrid time with two wisdom extractions and I started having panic attacks at the thought of going to the dentist.
The receptionist said to tell the dentist how I was feeling and he would be able to prescribe valium - a low dose to take before an appointment. it made a huge difference. I had no idea dentists could prescribe meds other than antibiotics.

Bumpetybumps Sat 03-Jan-15 20:28:55

I had 1 impacted w tooth removed- local anaesthetic- in dentist's.
It was growing sideways and sore.
I had 6 stitches.
Back to work ( teaching) next day.
All fine.

ByeByeButterfly Sat 03-Jan-15 20:32:10

I had lower right out a month ago.

It was sore after no denying it but not agony worst is having to eat soft foods for 2-4 days afterwards.

Just took co codomol afterwards for a few days and it was fine. Mine was made worse by having a cold as kept coughing.

The pain beforehand is much worse. Seriously consider extraction.

If your nervous they may give you sedation or laughing gas during extraction. I had sedation as mine was impacted but it's good to get it before that.

Good luck smile

Olivo Sun 04-Jan-15 07:47:28

Forgot to say pain wise, I have never ever felt anything like the pain before, I was miserable. The pain after. Having them all out was about a twentieth and easily controlled by meds. Although I was only referred for one impacted, they removed the lot due to another which was likely to cause similar problems in the future and the others because.....well, they could I suppose!

I get diazepam prescribed for dentist visits, only thing that allowed me to go after numerous years of not going, definitely ask, you'll be so relieved!

ForkieForkie Sun 04-Jan-15 09:28:28

Hi. I had the same situation a year ago. I feel for you. It was horrible. Got antibiotics from emergency dentist. Really impressed with speed at which I got appt from 111/101 (check which!) - within a couple of hours.

It was x-rayed a couple of days later and advice was no further action needed. Was kicking myself that id put up with the pain a couple of days before going. No problems since and has been checked again recently.

About 10 years ago I had similar pain and had both upper wisdom teeth removed. I had general anaesthetic and it really was OK. A bit painful for a couple of days after but agree with other posters, not as bad as initial toothache.

With recent trouble I was told that there has been a change and they only extract if you get repeated infections due to the risk of nerve damage. Sounds like this must vary by dentist.

While you are waiting I found those cold strips for headaches stuck around my jaw helped a little - or were a bit of a distraction at least.

I too had Valium a few years back for appts and it helped me get used to going and I'm now fine with it.

I feel that the way in which pain and fear has been handled by dentists has improved I'm recent years.

I hope you get it sorted and feel better soon.

Thisishowyoudisappear Mon 05-Jan-15 20:41:16

Had one out a couple of years ago with a local anaesthetic, it barely hurt at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now