Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Would you go to the Dr?

(7 Posts)
pilipala29 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:02:20

I've had regular migraines over the past 20 years (regular as in every couple of months). Recently though they have become more frequent. For example, I have had them like clockwork, every fortnight over the past few months. This would mean waking up in the morning with a headache, knowing straight away that it would end up in a migraine. I go to work as usual but feel like, well, not the best, and during the day I will have been sick. I go home, go to bed, ignore DH and DC and sleep for hours. I'll wake up the next day, still with a headache, but bearable so go to work and get better during the day. Now, I've assumed that if I went to the Dr he'd say something about what I'm eating/doing to result in this. I've kept a food diary and there's no pattern - I eat a bit of everything. So, back to my question of would you bother going to the Doctor? Do they give anything for migraines?

florentina1 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:14:23

I would go. The new prescription only migraine tablets are really good.

pilipala29 Fri 02-Jan-15 21:34:41

Thanks for the reply. I have this idea that a Doctor would just say I'd have to grin and bear my 'headache' so it's good to know that they prescribe something for migraines.

florentina1 Sat 03-Jan-15 08:54:40

I suffered in silence for 40 years, but my son went to his docs and was prescribed Naramig. I was realy nervous about mentioning this to the doctor, but he was absolutely amazing. It has literally changed my life. I would be out of action for 36 hours and then a few more days to recover. I have not had a full migraine for 8 years.

I hope you get a good response, please let me know.

TipsyMcStaggers Sat 03-Jan-15 09:00:45

Ooh yes definitely go to the doctors. I take sumatriptan which is to be taken just as an attack starts. If you know the headache is going to turn into a migraine something like this will hopefully stop it in its tracks.

allypally999 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:03:42

there are a variety of things you can take now to stop them happening (or reduce frequency) or to help when you get an attack and make life bearable so yes go to GP

good luck!

florentina1 Fri 09-Jan-15 18:38:11

Hi pilipala29 how are you feeling. A friend asked me a similar question to your post so I wondered if your GP helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now