Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ISIS militants with Ebola?

(5 Posts)
IAmOnMyBike Fri 02-Jan-15 13:26:39

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2894154/ISIS-fighters-contracted-Ebola-World-Health-Organisation-investigating-reports-Islamist-militants-disease-showed-Iraqi-hospital.html

As if things were not bad enough for the citizens of Iraq.

DustInTheWind Fri 02-Jan-15 13:33:56

I'd want it conformed by an independent source before I believed it to be anything other than propaganda.

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 02-Jan-15 13:34:35

independent's view

IAmOnMyBike Fri 02-Jan-15 13:42:16

Thanks for that link.

AuntieStella Fri 02-Jan-15 13:54:52

It might be propaganda.

But there is neither effective health care nor health surveillance, nor functioning labs, in ISIS controlled areas. It would be impossible to confirm a case, but that does not mean that the disease is not present. Any traveller could have taken it there, just as it has been taken to other a few other locations beyond the main affected countries during this outbreak.

If (and that's a big if) it is present there, there may be a cluster outbreak and it would become noticed at some point. Travel in and out of ISIS-controlled areas is already limited (and dangerous). I doubt even military medics could be deployed to assist there safely, and no volunteers should be permitted to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now