Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Freaking Out!!!

(6 Posts)
LittleKirk Fri 02-Jan-15 08:48:16

Hi ladies.

I am seriously freaking out!! I am 24 and I had a smear test 6 weeks after the birth of my second child. the results came back and there is evidence of the hpv infection so have been referred for a colposcopy so they can do further checks.

since I had my son I've had a pain, like a period pain in my hips and lower abdomen, ever since. he's now 12 weeks old and it comes and goes sporadically, not just with a period as its every day more or less. I looked it up and the internet has said its a symptom of cervical cancer and with the smear results I am really worried that I'll have the colposcopy and the worst will be confirmed.

(after a little more Google research the pain could also be connected to SPD which I did suffer with from 20 weeks into my pregnancy until the end and can last up to 8 months)

instead of continuing my self diagnosis on Google I thought I would ask you ladies if you had any advice or guidance...? Anything would be greatly appreciated!

mummybean84 Fri 02-Jan-15 11:09:26

Hi

I am sorry its such a worrying time for you. I suffered from SPD during pregnancy and it carried on for several months after my DD was born. I would say I was getting intermittent pain for at least 3 months after her birth.

My Mum had a smear test when myself and my siblings were very young and it came back abnornal after tests she was told she had 'pre cancerous cells' she had a laser treatment (it was done in about an hour and she had no pain) it was done as a day patient. That was all she needed and has never experienced any problems since (she is now in her 60's) she had to have slightly more regular smear tests but they were all normal from then on.

even if the results are abnormal it may be very quickly and easily treated and it may well turn out to be nothing at all. will pray for a happy outcome for you.

chloejaynemummy Fri 02-Jan-15 12:27:12

The good thing about smears is they do catch things early so if it is sum thing the earlier treated the better but also it could and probably is nothing they just like to make sure. Don't Google everything it's always worse case and pretty much everything u have with be symptoms of something sinister take it from me I was bleeding when I went to toilet was sure I had bowl cancer turned out to be piles hmm

chloejaynemummy Fri 02-Jan-15 12:27:52

That sent to early so try not to worry about it to much xxx

Wormatthebottomofthegarden Fri 02-Jan-15 17:20:35

Um...smear tests aren't recommended by the NHS until three months after giving birth due to the risk of false results.

LittleKirk Fri 02-Jan-15 20:58:37

Thank you all so much for your replies.

I suffer quite badly from anxiety and I'm a massive hypochondriac anyway and the wait is killing me. I have an appointment in 3 weeks and with your responses I can put my mind at ease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now