Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bf 1yo & I have nasty chesty cough/cold. Cotton wool brain. Suggestions appreciated.

(9 Posts)
Isabeller Fri 02-Jan-15 00:34:11

E.g. should I take lemsip or not because of the breastfeeding? Any advice about any aspect of coping sensibly?

We've been poorly for a few days. My 1 year old baby DS had one day of being a very poor thing but has mostly recovered his jolly and energetic self though still coughing occasionally and very much off food, on breast and 'clingy'. He's having Nurofen and Calpol in alternate widely spaced doses which seems to be working reasonably well.

I am not feeling great at all, mild flu symptoms, very drained and weak. I'm more sleep deprived than usual hence cotton wool brain. My cough is very violent and, for the first time, coughing made me throw up this evening. It's hard to suppress because I'm gasping and wheezing a bit and it feels like I can't take a really deep breath without setting off a coughing fit. I want to suppress it because I keep disturbing the baby who then takes a lot of settling which I am finding a struggle.

I don't know whether to call the GP for a phone consultation in the morning. It would be pretty grim trying to get there although might be reassuring to have the baby pronounced on the mend. I'm guessing neither of us need antibiotics so could be a waste of their time anyway.

It's just me and DS at home. DP lives nearby and, given his ASD, supports us as best he can.

Any advice/empathy/grips gratefully received. You can even tell me to man up wink

Thanks for reading.

Isabeller Fri 02-Jan-15 02:15:48

Cough cough.

SoonMeansNever Fri 02-Jan-15 02:25:54

Sympathy proffered - I'm nowhere near as ill but am heartily suck of my own cough now. DS2 is 8mo and seems to sleep thru most of my coughing, but wakes up for boob for the parts of the night when I might've slept! hmm
Not sure what the doc could do for you, but if your DS has any wheezing I'd take him down. DS2 had Bronchiolitis recently, relatively mild thank goodness, but I'm glad we saw the doc (and two hospitals as it was a weekend and the OOH doc was being cautious!)

SoonMeansNever Fri 02-Jan-15 02:28:24

Can you call the doc first thing and get them to call you back? Ours does telephone consultations, saves them and you time and clinic space. They can then advise on what you can take - would be a relief to get the go ahead for Lemsip etc.

Isabeller Fri 02-Jan-15 03:27:24

Thank you smile I hope you feel better soon. I can't even properly remember what bronchiolitis is (inflammation of the bronchioles I guess...) my chest is making more & more musical noises so I'll probably be phoning...

SoonMeansNever Fri 02-Jan-15 21:34:05

How're you doing this evening? Getting better I hope? brew

Isabeller Fri 02-Jan-15 23:56:21

I am not great but fortunately the baby is definitely getting better, his cough is going and appetite returning smile. We were both checked by the GP, I now have an inhaler as my lungs weren't quite right. My cough is pretty dreadful and I have a comic wheeze.

I am crossing my fingers for a better night which I desperately need.

Thank you so much for your kindness it really has meant a lot flowers

SoonMeansNever Sat 03-Jan-15 01:19:57

Oh thank goodness you went! I was going to say inhaler but wasn't sure if that was an option.
Good to hear your DS is doing better, do you have a humidifier? We borrowed one for DS2 when he was wheezy, it might help you? Otherwise, bowls of water on your radiators! It's a small difference compared to a proper humidifier but will help a little.
Keep on keeping on eh, hope you get some decent rest tonight.
I'm off to bed now, really really must stop watching The Godfather PtII......
brew <- Another Lemsip for you! smile

Isabeller Mon 05-Jan-15 12:39:31

Hope you are feeling tons better Soon.

The baby is very much better, still coughing & sneezing but appetite and bounce recovering well. I'm going in the right direction more slowly, the inhaler made a crucial difference. Thank you for your kindness, it's helped no end flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now