Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

vaginal discharge

(13 Posts)
hissingcat Thu 01-Jan-15 21:30:16

for the past few years I've had a lot of watery yellow-ish vaginal discharge.
I finally plucked up the courage to see my GP last August and was treated for Bacterial Vaginosis with a metronidazole pessary even though I tested negative for BV and thrush swabs came back negative. at the time I thought the discharge was less after treatment but within a month was back to square one.

Saw a different GP a couple of weeks ago who gave me metronidazole tablets. I finished the course and took my period straight after. period finished and the discharge is as bad as ever.
Has anyone had this or knows what it might be? I'm going to go back to the GP next week but I'm starting to worry there's nothing they can do as they don't seem to have any idea what it is.
I've looked on the Internet and can find nothing.
I've had tests for chlamydia before having DD and I've been swabbed for thrush and BV which all came back negative.

ConfusedInBath Thu 01-Jan-15 22:28:16

I'm not sure sorry. Did they check you internally? Are your smears up to date?

hissingcat Thu 01-Jan-15 22:33:00

smears are up to date but due another this year and I've had the discharge since before the last one. i haven't had a proper internal examination. i had a difficult forceps delivery 5 years ago and dd got stuck while being delivered but i can't remember having the discharge right after the birth although i could have had it since then.

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Fri 02-Jan-15 09:18:14

You could try going to a STD clinic for a full set of investigations which could fully rule out any infections.

Do you have a bath frequently? I only ask because after giving birth it's quite common for small mounts of water to pool in the vagina and then seep out like vaginal discharge.

Or if everything comes back as negative it could simply be your normal. I guess that's why pant liners were invented.

sadie9 Fri 02-Jan-15 12:57:52

Just to check, are you 100% sure its coming from the vagina, and not from the bladder. Just you said you had a forceps delivery which is renowned for causing bladder prolapses and suchlike...speaking from personal experience. Might it be urine being squished out when you sit down or are in a certain position...

Frusso Fri 02-Jan-15 13:08:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hissingcat Fri 02-Jan-15 13:20:21

sadie that's what I have thought too but there's no urine smell. However I have noticed that I get a lot of it coming out quite soon after I've emptied my bladder. I've had no problems with incontinence or anything so I'm really not sure.
sorry if TMI but the consistency is mostly a bit thinner than egg white.

what would a GUM clinic check for or do?
The GP said if antibiotics didn't work then she would take swabs which seems a bit pointless as I've been swabbed for everything before.

TenMinutesEarly Fri 02-Jan-15 13:23:50

I had bv. Got antibiotics but it came back. I used balance activ bought at the supermarket and that cleared it up. I also realised condoms were irritating me (think I have a slight allergy to latex). Maybe try Balance Activ.

Frusso Fri 02-Jan-15 14:05:08

hissingcat Fri 02-Jan-15 14:13:25

There's no smell except before I was first treated and there was a fishy smell but only after sex blush that went away after using the metronidazole pessaries. I had about 6 weeks where things were reasonably normal and then it came back again.
I'm starting to forget what 'normal' is but surely it's not right to be soaking through underwear every day?

MatildaTheCat Fri 02-Jan-15 14:17:46

I'm wondering if you should be checked for a fistula ( a small hole between your urethra and vagina which could occur during a forceps delivery) which could possibly account for the connection with going to the loo. If everything else checks out this might be worth considering.

Frusso Fri 02-Jan-15 14:27:11

hissingcat Fri 02-Jan-15 19:43:49

Would a fistula have been noticed when I was getting a smear or swabs taken or would they have to actively look for it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now