Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Flaky, dry scalp (but not dandruff, apparently!)..

(9 Posts)
Draylon Thu 01-Jan-15 21:18:16

DH is in his early 50s. He's had a dry, flaky scalp all of his life, apparently. He tells me it's not dandruff but it's getting worse. All his darker clothing and the inside of the car is covered with a light sprinkling of skin flakes which isn't very attractive.

He washes his (short and quite thick) hair once or twice a week using the family shampoo (Asda's finest!), and doesn't comb it as it it's strong so stays in shape by itself, iyswim.

The skin on his temples and through his eyebrows is becoming more flaky, too, and I've persuaded him to moisturise to help with this (my Olay!), but can anyone recommend anything to help with his scalp?

Thanks.

peggyundercrackers Thu 01-Jan-15 22:17:15

This sound similar to someone I know - they are at the stage of his skin bleeding as he is scratching it so much. He has had 8 different dreams and nothing has worked so far. They are waiting on an appoint with a consultant at the end of January. Sorry I don't have an answer for you...

peggyundercrackers Thu 01-Jan-15 22:19:00

This sounds like someone I know. Lately his head has been so bad he has been scratching it and there is blood all over his clothes and bedding. He has had 8 different creams from Gp but none have worked, he is now awaiting an appointment with a consultant at the do jan. Sorry I don't have an answer for you, just thought I would share experience.

GooodMythicalMorning Thu 01-Jan-15 22:25:16

Sounds like psoriasis to me. I used to use a shampoo called nizoral or something simar that contains tar. It helped but stunk. If he goes to the dr there are new treatments that are so much more effective now.

J10H12 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:40:04

Yes, I agree. Give Nizoral a go. Failing that a steroid scalp application.

Draylon Fri 02-Jan-15 10:13:56

Thanks everyone!

Draylon Fri 02-Jan-15 10:15:54

I meant to add, DH doesn't seem to have an itchy scalp at all; it's not red and 'sore' just scaly and flaky, pretty much dry not greasy flakes which is why maybe he doesn't classify it as dandruff? The rest of his skin, apart from terrible acne scars, is 'normal' as in not particularly oily or dry.

BigBroIsWatching Sat 03-Jan-15 00:18:12

I have very similar especially in eyebrows and side of temples. My doctor thinks it's Sebhorreic Dermatitis. I used a Nizarol cream for a few days., and it has vanished (for now!). It will flare up every now and then but I find the cream is so potent, it helps get rid.

BigBroIsWatching Sat 03-Jan-15 00:19:49

Mine is fAirly mild, btw, and not like the photos you may see on Google images!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now