Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you ask to change your NHS dentist in a group practice?

(6 Posts)
Draylon Thu 01-Jan-15 21:13:46

Mine makes me feel a bit uncomfortable- not the rootling around my teeth bit grin just he's about 12 (I'm 50!) and a tiny bit earnest (and doesn't understand that it's impossible to force a 15 year old to studiously clean his teeth despite 15 years of education, threats, nagging etc etc!). I saw one of his colleague for an emergency temporary filling at the same practice, a middle aged woman who I much preferred.

Can I just ask to be transferred to, hopefully, her, or do you not get a choice as an NHS patient? I am actually happy enough for him to go on seeing my DSs; just not me, thanks!

Redglitter Thu 01-Jan-15 21:15:05

My dentist practise is like my doctors. I can see anyone I like doesn't have to be the one I'm registered with

MillieMoodle Thu 01-Jan-15 21:15:30

Yes as far as I know you are able to register with any NHS dental practice that will have you! They don't have "catchment areas" like doctors do. Some practices aren't taking NHS patients at the moment though, so how easy it will be to find another one, I don't know!

MillieMoodle Thu 01-Jan-15 21:16:13

Sorry, should have read your post properly. Yes you can express a preference for dentist.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Thu 01-Jan-15 21:16:38

You can ask. It's a bit awkward for the dentists though IME.

hissingcat Sat 03-Jan-15 18:51:48

my dental practice allocates patients by what days they are able to attend. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now