Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

opinions on this burn......

(22 Posts)
DreamGirly Thu 01-Jan-15 13:05:30

Firework injury last night! It had 15mins under a cold shower - which burst the blister, I then not so cleverly peeled off the dead skin.... This is how it looks this afternoon. Sort of weeping yellow stuff onto the dressing.... Hospital or just keep it clean and dry? Its my boob!!!

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 01-Jan-15 13:09:07

Keep in clean, dry and covered. Put some cling film on it rather than anything with lint, which will stick.

hazeyjane Thu 01-Jan-15 13:12:12

personally I would get it checked out at the hospital, but I am very cautious with burns after suffering for months with a tiny burn on my arm, which became infected and left scarring.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 01-Jan-15 13:15:03

Hospital won't do anything other than tell you to keep it clean and covered. What else can they do with it? I'm sure they'll be pretty busy up at A&E today! Make an appt with Practice Nurse for early next week if you think its not healing.

bruffin Thu 01-Jan-15 13:15:32

Go to hospital and get it looked at properly. Burns get infected very easily so no putting anything on it

DreamGirly Thu 01-Jan-15 13:18:38

I agree on the a and e front to be honest, trying to avoid it. But I have a bit of a track record for infection and bad scarring so am worrying.

hazeyjane Thu 01-Jan-15 13:19:09

middleaged, with the burn on my arm, I went to the practice nurse a few days after initial burn, by which time the burn had doubled in size and infection had set in - she told me that I should have gone to a&e straightaway. I think if the burn was on my boob, I would be even more inclined.

hazeyjane Thu 01-Jan-15 13:22:36

The scar I now have on my arm is approx 6 cm across and 4 cm wide, it is a flat scar fortunately that looks like a birthmark. I too am not great with healing.

I know a&e will be busy, and there has been a lot in the news about overuse, but imo, this is an accident and an emergency !), if you are going to worry about it, it is better to get checked out.

bruffin Thu 01-Jan-15 13:32:52

Same happened with Dd Hazeyjane. Went to nurse for a few days the got sent to a&e and ended up with a skin graft a week later.

PrincessOfChina Thu 01-Jan-15 13:39:11

I called NHS direct about a similar burn once and their advice was that anything over the size of a 50p blister needed seeing and dressing. Mine scarred quite obviously even so.

PurpleWithRed Thu 01-Jan-15 13:42:03

You spent 15 mins with your boob under a cold shower? respect! How big is the burn?

bruffin Thu 01-Jan-15 13:44:45

The hospital advice was a burn should be under cold water for at least 10 minutes. So Op was doing the right thing

Methe Thu 01-Jan-15 13:45:46

How on earth have you burned your boob with a firework? Were you launching them from your cleavage?

Definitely go to a&e. Looks painful sad

DreamGirly Thu 01-Jan-15 13:45:50

It's 50p size.... I was drunk and held naked under the shower by a first aid trained scout leader..... Naked as my clothes were on fire.....

DreamGirly Thu 01-Jan-15 13:47:11

A fire work failed and shot at the watchers... I moved quick enough for it to miss my face.

PrincessOfChina Thu 01-Jan-15 13:47:28

If it's 50p sized I'd go to the walk-in. But I'm lucky, we have a GP walk-in centre to deal with things like this. I'm not sure I'd head to A&E today.

hazeyjane Thu 01-Jan-15 13:48:44

Ouch and blimey to clothes being on fire and being held naked under shower!

honestly, I would go to the hospital, it does look painful.

hazeyjane Thu 01-Jan-15 13:50:53

From what you have described, I would have been /be in shock as well. - it sounds terrifying.

I wouldn't avoid A&E just because of fear itt may be busy.

DreamGirly Thu 01-Jan-15 14:08:37

I went for the NHS 111 option, in the hope they would send me to out of hours. They triaged and I'm off to a and e at the Royal Surrey. Joy

hazeyjane Thu 01-Jan-15 15:09:56

Good luck, dream. I hope you don't have to wait to long. With burns I just think it is best to be on the cautious side!

DreamGirly Thu 01-Jan-15 16:07:31

Cleaned out, burns dressing that stays on to promote skin growth, and to watch for infection. Thanks for the advise guys!

hazeyjane Thu 01-Jan-15 16:31:33

Hope it heals well, Dream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now