Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

It's New Year's Eve and I have MUMPS

(15 Posts)
Longsufferingmum2 Wed 31-Dec-14 16:34:35

I'm 40, for goodness' sake. Why on earth have I got mumps? Ooh, I know - someone in London failed to immunise their child. I'm a Grumpy Mumpy Mummy.

lazybint Wed 31-Dec-14 17:11:33

Oh poor you! You have every right to be grumpy, what a thing to come down with.

Hope you feel better soon

calamitySloeGin Wed 31-Dec-14 18:18:09

Sympathies flowers

I came down with mumps NY 4 years ago, had just turned 40 ... also in London. It's really horrible isn't it? I felt horrendous for a few days but meds kicked in very quickly. I couldn't believe it either, such an odd age to get mumps! Get well soon

Longsufferingmum2 Wed 31-Dec-14 19:07:50

Thank you ladies.

wildernessagogo Wed 31-Dec-14 23:43:59

Oh that is shit. Gentle hugs you poor old thing.

Longsufferingmum2 Thu 01-Jan-15 20:45:53

Feeling a bit less Mumpy today.

gobbin Thu 01-Jan-15 20:56:09

Were you not immunised as a child then? Or is it the case that can you catch it years later even so?

SideOfFoot Thu 01-Jan-15 21:07:38

You could have been immunised yourself? Why depend on someone vaccinating their child to protect you and indeed why should I risk my child to protect you.

Hope you feel better soon.

Longsufferingmum2 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:53:02

gobbin- I was not immunised as a child because the vaccine wasn't done back then and never had the disease. My own children have been immunised so they're safe, thank goodness.

Muchtoomuchtodo Thu 01-Jan-15 22:57:10

That is shit. Hope you're feeling better soon.

SideofFoot. Do many adults getting themselves vaccinated when new vaccines are developed and they are past the target age range? Are vaccines even made available to them? I haven't had mumps, or been vaccinated against it. Occ Health at work (NHS) have never offered a vaccination for mumps to me.

Longsufferingmum2 Fri 02-Jan-15 16:27:15

Looking less and less elephanty as the day goes on. Might even have a jawline again by Sunday!

BlinkAndMiss Fri 02-Jan-15 21:41:45

I was vaccinated against mumps as a child, I was protected as a child but then caught them as an adult. The OP is perfectly reasonable to say that someone did not vaccinate their child and that is why she has mumps - in all likelihood this is what has happened. I caught mumps from children I worked with who had not been immunised.

I found drinking boiled water, cooled to a tepid temperature was bearable when my mouth was sore. Otherwise, staying propped up on pillows took the pressure off my neck, feel better soon OP.

Longsufferingmum2 Sat 03-Jan-15 22:44:49

Thank you very much BlinkandMiss. Today my face is almost back to normal and I feel great. Just have to finish the antibiotics for the ear infection and hope the chesty cough leaves soon as well. I'm feeling very positive about 2015.

digerd Sun 04-Jan-15 09:45:01

It was a loooong time ago when I got the mumps aged 16 but remember it well.
Only went to GP as it hurt when opening my mouth wide enough to fill it full of food and noticed I had a lump behind one ear.
I did not feel ill, but GP signed me off to stay indoors for 2 weeks as I was infectious.
No other family member got it though.

ostrichhead Mon 05-Jan-15 17:33:26

I immunised my child with a private clinic and was advised due to his egg allergy not to give MMR. We did a single measles egg free one.

What really annoys me is that I would have liked to immunise him for mumps... But can't as there's no demand/supply for the single vaccine of it.

That said, the Dr at the clinic did also tell me that the mumps part of the vaccine isn't wonderfully effective anyhow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now