Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What could be causing my painful sausage fingers and does it warrant a trip to the GP?

(11 Posts)
JadedAngel Tue 30-Dec-14 17:15:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 30-Dec-14 20:19:42

No, you are not wasting doctors time you need an appointment.
The tingling could be because of nerve pressure from the swelling.
Are the joints in your fingers painful and warm? My mother has RA and although hers started in her knees the hands are a common place for a first flare up.
It could be RSI, I get a puffy wrist if I use a keyboard a lot.

WastingMyYoungYears Tue 30-Dec-14 20:41:45

Isn't this called digital clubbing? I think it can be caused by various things - you really should see your GP as soon as you can.

Kundry Tue 30-Dec-14 20:45:34

You need to see your GP. It could be rheumatoid arthritis or scleroderma or nothing. It actually sounds a lot like rheumatoid arthritis.

It's definitely not too much typing. Clubbing is specifically changes in your nails so doesn't sound like that.

Go and see your GP. Soon - there are modern treatments for rheumatoid arthritis but need to be given before joint damage takes place.

Bugsylugs Tue 30-Dec-14 20:46:34

Do you have stiffness of any of your joints? (A feeling that they can't move fully until they have warmed up or been used? ) if so how long does it last?
Do you have psoriasis? Anyone in the family anything similar. You are not wasting GP time get seen

WastingMyYoungYears Tue 30-Dec-14 20:46:57

Oh yes Kundry, I just Googled smile. I still think a trip to the GP is warranted though.

EmNetta Tue 30-Dec-14 23:19:26

Had this years ago, and used to take Fynnon Salts daily, which helped, until I was advised by a (foreign) pharmacist to avoid red meat and spirits, and it did clear up after a few weeks, no recurrences.

mrspottasbubble Wed 31-Dec-14 15:42:50

I have sausage toes and my fingers are starting too.

I have psoriatic arthritis and it's a very common feature of it unfortunately.

Icantstopeatinglol Wed 31-Dec-14 17:02:18

I get sausage fingers and toes (mainly toes) and it's a tell tale sign for psoriatic arthritis. My consultant wasn't sure until I turned up with a swollen toe one time and that was enough for him to say definitely psa. Obviously this was on top of other symptoms ( psoriasis, Achilles problems, plantar fasciitis and joint problems).
Definitely get checked as if it is then the quicker you get treat be the better.

JadedAngel Sat 03-Jan-15 19:52:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Icantstopeatinglol Sun 04-Jan-15 00:40:46

Hi op, not sure about being affects by hormones but i find I have a bit more pain when I'm on my period. Not sure why to be honest.
Yes best to get checked out. Hope all goes ok flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now