Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cold sore

(9 Posts)
LittleMissGiggles7 Tue 30-Dec-14 11:40:38

I have never ever had a cold sore before. Yesterday my lip was really tingly and woken up with 5/6 small blisters on my lip.

I have a new boyfriend that I've been with a few months, could I have caught it from him...?

Anyway I'm at a big NYE party tomorrow night and need this gone- it looks terrible. Please please give me your best getting rid if them advice.
TIA

Buttercup27 Tue 30-Dec-14 11:51:18

Get the strongest alcohol you can and dab it onto the area 3-4 times a day. It hurts like he'll but always clears mine within about 24 hours , even when they are huge blisters!

flumperoo Tue 30-Dec-14 12:17:46

They don't like cold, so regularly dabbing with ice can help as can taking L-lysine tablets from Holland & Barratt type shops. You can also get vaseline with L-lysine in it.

flumperoo Tue 30-Dec-14 12:19:01

L-lysine

LittleMissGiggles7 Tue 30-Dec-14 12:59:18

Thank you so much, I've dabbed with vodka and am now of to the shops to see I can get something.

Deux Tue 30-Dec-14 13:03:14

Those Compeed cold sore plasters are very good. Put some Zovirax underneath, then plaster on overnight.

Deux Tue 30-Dec-14 13:04:08

and high dose of l lysine - google for the treatment dose.

VelmaD Thu 01-Jan-15 10:50:25

definitely l-lysine, changed my life.

also, be aware that oral cold sores can be transferred to genitalia, so steer clear of oral sex if either of you show any signs of them

J10H12 Thu 01-Jan-15 22:36:36

I'd recommend aciclovir cream (brand name Zovirax) -- first sign of a tingle apply 5 x a day. It specifically targets the virus that causes cold sores.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now