Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Social Services cant find a care provider for my Dad...want me to find someone how on earth do I go about doing this?

(9 Posts)
hulahoopsilove Tue 30-Dec-14 10:21:25

at the moment stand in carer company going in they want to finish and cant carry on as it was temporary until SS found a care provider, they cant everyone is full inthe area (Silverdale/Clifton Nottm area).

Theyve said they can pay us direct and we can find one with the help of a company but this will cost more and can we chip in!!!!!

I just dont know what to do - any advice very grateful

hulahoopsilove Tue 30-Dec-14 10:22:08

also asked how I though my Dad would cope if no one went in for a while until they found one - surely they cant stop care until someone else is appointed?!!! So worried

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Tue 30-Dec-14 13:40:26

We have Homeinstead for my FIL. They set up the service very quickly and have been really good. Very reliable and a small number of different carers. FIL has improved and gone down from 3daily visits to just one in the morning which he loves.

They are a bit more expensive but came highly recommended and we would now recommend,too.

hulahoopsilove Tue 30-Dec-14 18:19:19

Matilda lol - here we go again you are an angel all this advice your giving me on different threads smile

Homeinstead are they local to you?

Bearandcub Tue 30-Dec-14 18:28:28

You can put in the postcode and it will share providers in your area.

You may try Trading Standards for private providers too including brokerage companies that will, for a fee, find a care company or personal assistant to care for your father.

stillwearingaredribbon Tue 30-Dec-14 18:32:26

They should have a list of providers in your area

3BloodyKids Tue 30-Dec-14 18:42:14

Whilst it may be acceptable for them to ask you to help out, local authorities have a duty to provide care where it is required, so they really need to be doing everything they can to find someone suitable.

They can offer you a personal budget to purchase your own care, but you don't have to accept it. For some families, this is an ideal option as they might have a family member or whatever, keen to do the role anyway. But if this won't work for you, don't do it. It can be a very complex and frustrating process recruiting your own carers if you don't already have someone in mind.

So, keep bugging them, be clear about what you can and can't do and kick up a fuss if necessary. IME, it's the families that make the most noise that get the better care.

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Tue 30-Dec-14 19:45:46

Here is the website for Homeinstead. I think they are a franchise with offices all over the country.

Hope that helps. It's a difficult

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Tue 30-Dec-14 19:47:19

Sorry, I meant to say that the care form the new agency is much more personal and reliable than the care from SS in our case. I'm sure this is area dependent to some degree.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: