Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

do i need a tetanus?

(7 Posts)
goshhhhhh Mon 29-Dec-14 17:57:40

So just stood on a massive thorn at least two inches. Went through welly & thermal sock , into my foot & had to be pulled out. (it was stuck). I was in a muddy field walking the puppy. So do I need a tetanus?Can't remember having one. Should add generally don't go to the doctors (unlike my dh).

Fadingmemory Mon 29-Dec-14 18:03:13

It would be a good idea. I trod on a nail in the garden and within a few hours my foot was very swollen. I went to the local walk-in unit and the wound was cleaned, ex-rayed and dressed. I was also given an anti-tetanus jab. Just to be on the safe side. Tetanus is serious - as Google for the symptoms if you're brave.

goshhhhhh Mon 29-Dec-14 18:09:06

Ok. Will ring nurse in morning. Have bathed it. V sore. Ouch!

ihatethecold Mon 29-Dec-14 18:15:33

If you've had one in the last 10 years you are still covered.
Personally I wouldn't have thought you need one but you should double check with your nurse.

SunshinePickle Mon 29-Dec-14 18:17:01

Muddy wounds can need tetanus immunoglobulin (different to vaccine), get it checked out. Hope it's not too sore!

goshhhhhh Mon 29-Dec-14 19:09:29

Not had one in living memory. ( last time I was at doctors was about 7 years ago.)

goshhhhhh Tue 30-Dec-14 09:33:22

Off to see nurse. Last tetanus was in 1984!(showing my age....) I think they are so keen to see me to ensure that I am a real person not just a name on their list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now