Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

do i need a tetanus?

(7 Posts)
goshhhhhh Mon 29-Dec-14 17:57:40

So just stood on a massive thorn at least two inches. Went through welly & thermal sock , into my foot & had to be pulled out. (it was stuck). I was in a muddy field walking the puppy. So do I need a tetanus?Can't remember having one. Should add generally don't go to the doctors (unlike my dh).

Fadingmemory Mon 29-Dec-14 18:03:13

It would be a good idea. I trod on a nail in the garden and within a few hours my foot was very swollen. I went to the local walk-in unit and the wound was cleaned, ex-rayed and dressed. I was also given an anti-tetanus jab. Just to be on the safe side. Tetanus is serious - as Google for the symptoms if you're brave.

goshhhhhh Mon 29-Dec-14 18:09:06

Ok. Will ring nurse in morning. Have bathed it. V sore. Ouch!

ihatethecold Mon 29-Dec-14 18:15:33

If you've had one in the last 10 years you are still covered.
Personally I wouldn't have thought you need one but you should double check with your nurse.

SunshinePickle Mon 29-Dec-14 18:17:01

Muddy wounds can need tetanus immunoglobulin (different to vaccine), get it checked out. Hope it's not too sore!

goshhhhhh Mon 29-Dec-14 19:09:29

Not had one in living memory. ( last time I was at doctors was about 7 years ago.)

goshhhhhh Tue 30-Dec-14 09:33:22

Off to see nurse. Last tetanus was in 1984!(showing my age....) I think they are so keen to see me to ensure that I am a real person not just a name on their list!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: