Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

So I have a bulky cervix.

(59 Posts)
ConfusedInBath Mon 29-Dec-14 17:44:47

Been to GP re bleeding after period had finished last week.
She had a look at my cervix and said it was bulky and that it looked red and mentioned the word ectropian.

She said she would refer me for a colposcopy and scan and not to worry.

But now I am. All my previous smears have been normal. The last one was two years ago.

Does anyone have any experience of this. Tbh I've never heard of the phrase.

I'm 47 if that helps and have had children.

goshhhhhh Mon 29-Dec-14 18:02:39

I think it is cervical erosion. Generally for most people nothing to worry about. She is doing the right thing referring you.
Try not to worry (easy for me to say). It is reasonabl y common. If you have had previously negative smears it may just be one of those things. Hope so.

ConfusedInBath Mon 29-Dec-14 18:30:34

Thanks goshh.

Yes I think you're probably right. Wonder why she didn't say erosion?

Do you think it would be a good idea to go private or wait for nhs appointment? GP said she wasn't thinking cancer but everything I've googled says that bulky cervix means cervical cancer.

I know it's stupid to google but I honestly wasn't expecting that given the GP's lack or concern about it.

goshhhhhh Mon 29-Dec-14 19:07:36

It's up to you. Remember that cervical cancer if it is that is slow. It also might not be.
Personally I would wait. If it was urgent they would see you straight away. But I'm not you. How would you find waiting?

ConfusedInBath Mon 29-Dec-14 19:31:28

She said she wasn't worried about cancer or words similar so that's good I guess. And yes she refer me straight away if she thought it was.

I'm pretty rubbish at waiting if I'm honest. I get carried away with myself. I have private health care so wouldn't be stumping up the cost for going private.

I'll sleep on it. Thanks for replying.

goshhhhhh Mon 29-Dec-14 19:40:50

Well you are not good at waiting & have private healthcare.....seems like a no brainer to me.

ConfusedInBath Tue 30-Dec-14 10:06:44

Have just phoned the surgery and spoke to referral secretary who said the GP didn't have the referral marked as urgent.

She isn't in till next Monday so can't refer me privately till then. Gah.
Receptionist said I would have to see another GP for them to refer me sooner but there's nothing till Friday.

I suppose the fact the GP doesn't think it's urgent is a good thing?

goshhhhhh Tue 30-Dec-14 11:16:16

Yes a very good thing. Try & relax and enjoy the new year.

ConfusedInBath Tue 30-Dec-14 11:34:50

Thank you goshhh for listening to me prattle on flowers

goshhhhhh Tue 30-Dec-14 14:36:51

No worries. Thank you for the flowers. Make sure you have a good new year wine

pinkfrocks Tue 30-Dec-14 15:51:44

What she thinks you have is very common and in no way connected with cancer. I had one when I was 24 and had started taking the Pill- change in hormones can bring it on.

It's when the cells from the lining of the cervix grow outside it- they are not meant to so can bleed as they are delicate.

The treatment may be leave alone, cauterise (that's what I had done) ..

You will find plenty about it on the NHS site, I'm sure.

It's not urgent- you could have one for years and no harm would come to you though you might experience some spotting after sex.

pinkfrocks Tue 30-Dec-14 15:54:19

cervical erosion

ConfusedInBath Tue 30-Dec-14 16:58:11

Hi thanks for replying pink.

It was the "bulky cervix" that has worried me more than the erosion.

Anything I've found my googling with bulky cervix is associated with CC.
Maybe her use of phrase was wrong? After all she didn't seem worried.

She ask me 3 times if my last smear was ok though and tried to find the results in my notes.
She seemed a bit confused that it was normal.

pinkfrocks Tue 30-Dec-14 17:21:09

well, 'bulky' doesn't sound very flattering, does it???

Maybe she just isn't very experienced in these matters? Or just not very articulate?

Clearly if cells from the cervical canal migrate to the outside then the cervix will look bigger because they are squamous cells (I think) which means they are bigger and flatter, so would add 'bulk'!

Looking at worst case scenario, even if it were cancer- which it isn't- it doesn't grow from nothing to something in weeks so try not to worry.

ConfusedInBath Tue 30-Dec-14 17:47:21

I'm due a smear in 4 months and haven't had a pelvic exam since the last one. So I wouldn't know what state my cervix was in a few weeks ago.
Probabaly still bulky grin

Ebb Tue 30-Dec-14 18:19:47

I went to the GP for the same reason today. I have a very anterior cervix so it was difficult for her to see properly but she said I have a very vascular cervix. At first I thought she was implying I had a vast foof but she explained it meant it was full of blood vessels. I also have a polyp so she has referred to the Gynaecologist and mentioned getting my cervix lasered. Sounds delightful! Shall we hand hold? grin

ConfusedInBath Tue 30-Dec-14 18:51:33

Oh that's interesting. Did she use the word bulky? I'm not obsessed with that word honest grin
Do you mind me asking what took you to the GP, was it bleeding?

Ebb Tue 30-Dec-14 19:00:23

I went for a coil check but mentioned post coital bleeding. It's been going on for a while but I knew I had a polyp as had bleeding when pregnant with dc2. She didn't use the word bulky though. Just vast vascular. Wonder how long the appointment will take to come through? I have stepped away from google as it all says about cervical cancer and the doctor assured me it was nothing to worry about. All previous smears normal and next due in Aug.

Theboulderhascaughtupwithme Tue 30-Dec-14 19:04:46

OP ectropion and erosion are the same thing. I had one in my early twenties due to the pill, had it cauterised and never had any further issues.

ConfusedInBath Tue 30-Dec-14 19:08:43

Google is dire isn't it?!

That's good your GP also said not to worry. You sound less neurotic than me. I'm not sure how long appointment will be tbh, I think my GP said weeks.

I may go private. I know it probably seems a bit daft but I don't function well waiting.

Ebb Tue 30-Dec-14 19:24:45

I'm fairly chilled most of the time although if my appointment comes through very quickly I may panic! grin I can't afford to go private so will await my summons. With all the problems I've had with my coils this year ( went from mirena to copper and GP's couldn't get it out due to position of uterus so had to go to Family planning ), I think strangers have seen my foof more than dp! blush

ConfusedInBath Tue 30-Dec-14 19:40:28

Hopefully you won't have to wait too long. Im only going to go private as I have insurance, I don't think I'd pay otherwise.

goshhhhhh Mon 05-Jan-15 07:57:29

Hi - just wondered how you are doing? Hope all ok.

ConfusedInBath Mon 05-Jan-15 09:17:45

Hi goshhh
I had the pelvic scan on Sarurday and sonographer didn't say much but that I shouldn't worry too much. Report will be sent to my GP in a week, had a bit of spotting again last night.
Just waiting for colposcopy to come through now. I rang on Friday and lady said should hear something this week.

goshhhhhh Mon 05-Jan-15 16:27:36

That's good. Fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: