Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gastritis and stomach related issues - come talk to me please

(14 Posts)
RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Sun 28-Dec-14 11:58:14

I'm at my wits end!

I'm on omeprazole, ranatadine and metroclopramide and take the last 2 with each meal just to try and keep it down. I am basically bringing every meal up and at night bringing up acid for hours on end

I've had an endoscopy was told its mild gastritis and a hiatus hernia told to stop the omeprazole after 6 weeks and was left to it. My GP and I have tried to lower it to 20mg with no success and I'm losing a lot of weight now (no bad thing but not healthy!)

Help basically!

trigger2 Sun 28-Dec-14 13:08:58

Hi,
Does there seem to be any link between what youre eating and the vomiting ? Just wondering if it could be related to e.g gluten, milk etc
Worth trying a food diary to see if any link

Regards
Trigger

trigger2 Sun 28-Dec-14 13:09:42

Did they also test for hPylori ?

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Sun 28-Dec-14 13:12:27

Hi, thanks

I eat a very restricted diet due to migraine triggers - so no dairy no chocolate no tomatoes minimal wheat

I juice but that's mainly veg (a lot of green juices) Strangely my stomach is at its absolute worst when empty it's almost as if I keep a small amount of food in it it's bearable

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Sun 28-Dec-14 13:13:37

Yes been tested for h pylori and it was negative

Had a monster dose of the antibiotics used to treat it in the summer so if I did have it I wouldn't any more iyswim! It's been an increasing problem for over a year now

Thanks for your help

trigger2 Sun 28-Dec-14 13:17:01

Not sure what else to suggest apart from the fact that youre within your rights to ask for a second opinion. It can be nervewracking feeling like you're arguing with the gp/hospital but they need to get to the bottom of this. Have you been signed off by hospital ? Worsening symptoms need further investigation whether they like it or not.

trigger2 Sun 28-Dec-14 13:19:01

keep a note of all your symptoms too. Do you have any stomach pain, blood in stools ? Anything that could be related.

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Sun 28-Dec-14 13:19:22

Thanks for the help I do feel like I'm going to be labelled a frequent flyer and piss everyone off if I push them

The hospital wrote with diagnosis, and said no need for a return visit unless it was felt needed by my GP even though the Dr doing the endoscopy said he wanted to see me again in clinic as my stomach lining was so raw

I don't like causing a fuss!

RoastingYourChestnutsHurtsAlot Sun 28-Dec-14 13:20:10

Have constant stomach pain - have had left sided lower abdo pain for a couple of years now which ties in with the upper GI issues but no bleeding from either end

trigger2 Sun 28-Dec-14 13:25:52

I would definitely push to go back to gastro, your symptoms are worsening and the meds haven't helped. Make sure your GP knows that the endo doc said he would like to have seen you again.
Sometimes you have to be a pain in the ass to get to the bottom of things I'm afraid. B*gger what they think, it's your health !
Good luck :-)

tallulah Sun 28-Dec-14 14:40:30

My DS had symptoms similar to yours for months and months. In loads of pain, couldn't keep anything down. Turned out the top half of one kidney had died. Nothing showed up in any tests until he had a CT Scan.

NanTheWiser Sun 28-Dec-14 17:18:21

I've been suffering from digestive problems for several months now, acid reflux and abdo pain, etc. (not seen GP up until now) and have been trying various "natural" remedies, e.g. apple cider vinegar with manuka honey, aloe vera capsules, and slippery elm capsules. After reading about many sufferers on forums, and seeing it recommended, I bought some DGL on Friday, and it really does seem to work! Licorice is an old remedy for digestive problems, it stimulates the mucous lining of the stomach and has healing properties. It must be deglycyrrhizinated liquorice, to prevent blood pressure problems, I got mine from H & B, but is also available from Amazon. I think mine might be gastritis although H. pylori test was negative last year, and I really don't want to be put on PPIs. Be aware, that if you come off PPIs you can suffer from rebound acid, which comes back with a vengeance. Might be worth a try?

ChestyTheSnowman Sun 28-Dec-14 23:58:03

Do you take the metoclopramide before meal? IIRC it takes around 20 mins to work.

You need to be refered back to gastro if symptoms are worsening and you're loosing weight.

Propping your bed head up may help on a night.

I have a motility issue with similar issues....it's the pits sad

Gastroissues Mon 29-Dec-14 00:06:07

Hey Roasting. I'd push for a gastric emptying study if I were you. Your symptoms sound like they could be caused by Gastroparesis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now