Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

stomach aches after wine after gallbladder op

(8 Posts)
southeastastra Sun 28-Dec-14 11:38:38

has anyone else suffered from this ? get stomach ache every morning after drinking its a bit annoying

minibmw2010 Sun 28-Dec-14 21:05:41

My understanding was that alcohol was not easy to drink after a gallbladder removal. When you say you're drinking, how much?

southeastastra Mon 29-Dec-14 10:46:24

I had about three quartets of the bottle (4 glasses) not loads

minibmw2010 Mon 29-Dec-14 11:03:24

Sorry OP, 3/4 of the bottle is loads, it's a lot of pressure on a healthy body, let alone one trying to compensate for not having a gallbladder. And I say that as someone who loves a glass of wine. It's enough to give me a slight hangover and to my knowledge my gallbladder and liver are fine.

mistymorningmemories Mon 29-Dec-14 11:13:27

I was told to limit consumption of fatty foods and alcohol permanently following my gall bladder op. If I do eat badly or have a drink then I get pains in the region of my liver. I think you are more at risk of getting fatty liver etc if you don't have your gallbladder.

southeastastra Mon 29-Dec-14 11:16:08

oh really ? I didn't get advice to change my diet at all.

InfinitySeven Mon 29-Dec-14 11:16:34

My understanding was that you have to limit wine to a glass or two, and make sure that they are small?

DP's sister had her gallbladder removed and used to drink two average-sized glasses every so often, probably weekly, but found she had a lot of side effects and had to cut it down quite a lot. She has a small monthly glass now, in a glass that really seems very small, but she enjoys it and doesn't get the side effects, and she said she gets a lot more support from her doctors, too.

It may just be that you need to drastically taper back until you find a level that your body is happy with.

mistymorningmemories Mon 29-Dec-14 11:25:41

I can manage two small glasses of wine or one bottle of crabbies (my christmas drink this year!) without any symptoms. I had a KFC a while back and was in agony!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now