Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Toothless... please help!

(35 Posts)
LiquidCosh Sat 27-Dec-14 21:15:47

OK so I have a 3 unit bridge across my front 3 teeth that started to come loose about 3 weeks ago, the next available appointment with the dentist wasn't until the 29th, no problem I thought I'll just glue it in with the stuff from the chemist. So of course it came off completely on Christmas eve (typical) and when I tried to get it back in I made a mess of it. I think the cement may have hardened in and be blocking the canal because it wont fit in any more. sad

It is really depressing and has ruined Christmas. My sister called and I had to sit with a scarf round my mouth. I can't describe how bad it looks and how embarrassing it is.

The emergency dentist at the local hospital is for pain relief only and won't see patients for cosmetic problems. I don't even know when my own dentist is open again so it looks as though I'm going to be like this for a while.

Any advice on how to clear the cement so that I can fit the bridge in again?

BeHoHoHove Sat 27-Dec-14 21:23:36

Sorry I can't help toothless but just thought I'd say you are not alone.
My front crown came out this morning and I'm missing the annual family party tonight through being too embarrassed. I couldn't get it back in with the shop bought cement either.
Luckily the dental hospital in Glasgow will see me tomorrow at 10am, I can only hope they will be able to fit it back in.

LiquidCosh Sat 27-Dec-14 21:30:29

Thanks BeHoHoHove it's the worst feeling isn't it! Always seems to happen at times when dentists are closed or you have somewhere important to be.
My 11 year old says she can't even look at me because I look like a wee granny grin

CheeseBored Sat 27-Dec-14 21:42:05

Me too! My front eye tooth bridge came out on Xmas eve- I have been supergluing it in but given up now. Cant.you wait until the 29th? Its bad isnt it, but I'm sort of past caring now.....

BeHoHoHove Sat 27-Dec-14 21:45:50

Yes it's miserable having tooth problems, especially this time of year. This crown has been nothing but trouble, never fitted well.
Next stage for me is a bridge apparently.I thought they were supposed to be very stable and last for years?

I wonder if implants are available on the NHS, I've been reading about th options online today as I'm hiding at home.

BeHoHoHove Sat 27-Dec-14 21:49:24

This is how I feel.

yummytummy Sat 27-Dec-14 21:58:20

Op there should be a dental access centre near you its walk in for dental emergencies. The one I work in is open 365 days. Ring 111 they should direct you

LiquidCosh Sat 27-Dec-14 22:10:13

Yeah gonna just have to wait until the 29th now I've no other choice. I don't know about implants on the NHS BeHo I think that would be classed as cosmetic

LiquidCosh Sat 27-Dec-14 22:20:59

Sorry yummy tummy I just saw your message I did ring the local dental emergency centre and they are only for pain emergencies.

LiquidCosh Sat 27-Dec-14 22:42:07

Hehe BeHo I wish I looked as good as that pic!!

Bellejessleo Sat 27-Dec-14 22:44:00

My front veneer fell of last night and I ate half of it! Typical that it happened on Boxing Day! I rang nhs 111 and that gave me an appointment at a dental access centre this morning. Dentist put some composite over it so it is ok until I can reach my dentist on Monday. Ring them in sure u could get an appointment, it isn't just cosmetic and you shouldn't be left without teeth for days on end in my opinion. Lady on nhs 111 said that any jagged edges left on teeth would have to be sorted within 24hours. Hope you sort it!

BeHoHoHove Sat 27-Dec-14 22:53:50

Agree with belle, liquid - no one should be left like that for several days. The initial pain and bleeding from my 'gap-site' has receded but I'm still going to the emergency clinic tomorrow to get it fixed. Hope you get yours fixed soon xx

LiquidCosh Sun 28-Dec-14 01:37:26

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post I'll let you all know how I get on.

LiquidCosh Sun 28-Dec-14 01:42:38

Just to add I've been watching TV all night trying to take my mind off it but everyone seems to have gorgeous straight white teeth envy fgrin

BeHoHoHove Sun 28-Dec-14 11:37:10

Well I'm stuffed. Just back from the dental hospital, they couldn't put my crown back in as the root is broken. I'm not sure what comes next but I just know it will be expensive. There is no way I am going out or back to work looking like this so I can only hope there is a temporary fix if I get to see the dentist tomorrow. sad

LiquidCosh Sun 28-Dec-14 12:38:22

Sorry to hear that BeHo I think if the root is gone the next option is an implant or denture or perhaps a bridge. Hopefully your dentist will go through all the options with you tomorrow. It's expensive especially so soon after Christmas.

I'm actually really afraid that I,ve done some damage when I tried to stick it back in myself. Can't believe I have to stay in all day again today, DP was wanting to go out for lunch but I just couldn't face it.

Will you be able to take some leave from work until it's sorted? I'm off until Wednesday so I have 3 days to do something.

BeHoHoHove Sun 28-Dec-14 14:41:02

Hi, I'm off til the 5th but will definitely be using up some annual leave until I can safely show my face in public.
It's rotten isn't it, we were also hoping to have a day of shopping and lunch out today.
Roll on tomorrow, I never thought I would be looking forward to the dentist.

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat Sun 28-Dec-14 15:54:26

I lost a tooth a few months ago and am waiting for an implant. In the meantime I have a one tooth denture which was fitted and made in just a couple of days. Now I am used to it I don't notice it at all so maybe you could look at the option of a partial denture until you can sort out a long term fix?

Tooth loss is really, really depressing and expensive. Hope you all get fixed up ASAP.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 28-Dec-14 16:00:07

I can't help but one of my back teeth which cracked on a ride at Thorpe Park has broke even more when I ate a haribo sad all I can taste is the metallic gum taste bleurgh I'd rather the whole thing just come out

Mrsmorton Sun 28-Dec-14 16:04:31

I'm a dentist, just finished massive access session and we wouldn't generally refit crowns etc unless you were in pain. It's not an emergency, it's just the way it works.

OP, a quick option if you can't get something done at your own dentist is a clinical dental technician. They are allowed to take impressions and can make a denture within a few hours (chemical reactions are the rate determining step). Normal dental technicians are not allowed to do this and are acting illegally if they do.

Hope your dentist has something up their sleeve.

sad after seeing two 4 year old children in pain with gross decay due to poor diet

Healthy teeth are such a gift, as a society we don't give enough importance to this. not the government, not the PCTs, not the people.

LiquidCosh Sun 28-Dec-14 17:11:12

I agree MrsMorton healthy teeth are so important and because mine are so bad I make sure to take extra good care of DC's, I don't want them to go through this when they are older. Mine are a mixture of bad genes and poor dental hygiene as a child. I would never blame my parents but it just wasn't a priority back then.

MatildaTheRedNosedReinCat I am also saving for an implant it just seems like something more important always comes up and spending so much family money on my teeth makes me feel guilty IYSWIM

BeHoHoHove I am so looking forward to the dentist tomorrow and that's a sentence I never thought I'd say! grin

Can you notice your tooth when you talk or laugh GlitzAndGigglesx ?

I think I'm getting cabin fever, I've been indoors now for 3 days.

GlitzAndGigglesx Sun 28-Dec-14 19:16:27

Only if I smile really wide. No one has ever commented on it but I'm still very self conscious of it

LiquidCosh Mon 29-Dec-14 12:02:26

Just back from the dentist and thought I would update. So teeth are back in for now but apparently the posts on my bridge are bent and the canal has widened and that's why it no longer fits properly. He said this re-cement should last until my next apt on 8th Jan when I'll need a mould done for a new bridge costing £1000 sad

Did you have any luck with yours CheeseBored?

LiquidCosh Mon 29-Dec-14 12:07:14

Just back from the dentist and thought I would update. So apparently the posts are bent and the canal in my tooth has widened and that's why it's not fitting in properly, so I need a new one at a cost of £1000 sad My next apt is for 8th Jan when I'll have a mould done for a new one.
It's in for the time being which I'm happy about but it doesn't feel very secure.

Any luck with yours CheeseBored?

Mrsmorton Mon 29-Dec-14 12:08:24

It's unusual to use teeth with posts in to support a bridge. Did he talk about the possibility the roots have fractured? That's the most common reason for post failure. Just wondering what sort of prognosis he's given the £1000 treatment plan.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now