Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Knuckle lump appeared

(6 Posts)
XianW Fri 26-Dec-14 16:05:20

A lump has appeared on the knuckle of my index finger. It isn't painful but is sore when I move the finger (when the skin gets stretched over the lump). The skin over the lump is lightly red. I have full mobility and the lump isn one the knuckle not to the side

I'm nearly 50 and there isn history of arthritis in my family. I developed sero-negative rheumatoid arthritis at 13, but apart from one short bout when I was about 18, I have had no symptoms apart from swollen ankles ever and no pain.

Any clues...is this the start of oesteo-arthritis?
Photo attached
Help

XianW Sat 27-Dec-14 00:05:56

Can anyone help. Should I see a GP? If it is arthritis what do I do?

wohmum Sat 27-Dec-14 00:08:18

I also have this - been there for a few years and always wondered what it was! Sorry can't be more help, but looking forward to other replies!

You can get ganglions on your knuckles which I think can be associated with arthritis. DP has one but he's only 36 and definitely not arthritic yet though! Though I have a feeling it is more common on top knuckle (???) Anyway, try googling ganglion (bit of a tongue twister that!)

allypally999 Sat 27-Dec-14 10:04:25

I have a few funny bumps here and there on my hands now (56) and mentioned it to GP - he just gave the newest one a feel and said "doesn't seem arthritic - it'll probably go away". It has moved but now I am paying more attention some of my knuckle joints are much bigger on one hand so probably is start of arthritis.

Getting old is so much fun!

XianW Sun 28-Dec-14 21:55:22

Allypally999, I think that is what I am going to hear.
It isn't ganglions apparently as I saw a pharmacist and they said it probably wasn't arthritis either, and may 'just go away on its own'.

I am currently using Infuprofen gel and glucosamine gel and will see my GP when they are likely to be less busy than the next few weeks.

I hate getting old too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now