Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Broken ankle - starting to bear weight

(2 Posts)
Octavia64 Fri 26-Dec-14 14:33:52

Looking for some advice & info from those that have been there before me..

I broke my ankle in Sept, open fracture. Two operations, five days in hospital and non-weight bearing for 12 weeks (3 months). I've just got out of the cast into an air-walker boot and.. I can't put any weight on my foot.

The boot is really uncomfortable, I've fiddled with the pads, I'm wearing it as little as I can get away with. I'm actually finding it marginally easier to get around on crutches without the boot, as it's forcing my ankle into a painful position. Without the boot I can weight bear maybe about 1% of my body weight when I'm walking. With it, none.

(I'm mostly in a wheelchair, so I don't use crutches unless I really need to).

Should I go back and see the docs? Are there different kinds of boots? Anyone been here before?

Ponyphysio Fri 26-Dec-14 14:45:26

Im guessing that your calf and Achilles tendon have become tight and contracted due to such a long time without weightbearing. I would try putting a folded sock under yr heel in the boot, then gradually reduce it into a more normal 90 degrees position. The fact that they've given you an airwalker sugeests that the ankle isn't strong enough yet to weightbear without it, so wait til you get advice from consultant before walking without it. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now