Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Long Cycle then Short cycle?

(7 Posts)
Kittykat7 Fri 26-Dec-14 10:50:03

Not sure whether to be worried. My last period was 8 days late. I have now started 20 days later. I don't even think I ovulated. I usually get a PMS migraine but I haven't this time. My psychiatrist sent me for blood tests to check my hormones but I won't be seeing him until April. I will see my own GP in Feb after my bone scan & he will have a copy of the results. I think stress delayed my last cycle but I can't understand why this one is really short.,

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 26-Dec-14 13:08:19

How old are you? I had cycles like that from mid thirties and was told it was quite normal.

Kittykat7 Fri 26-Dec-14 15:00:57

I am 44. My last cycle I had one day of spotting then nothing then started the next day. I was 8 days late. This one has started after 20 days. Very weird. I was very stressed the past 2 months as I was made redundant. It seems hormone relatated though.

Nextchapterabouttostart Fri 26-Dec-14 18:59:02

I have one short every third period, one normal then one long - very strange & only for the last 18 months -but have been using an app & literally goes 24 days 29 35 then back round again - 25 28 36 - as pp said I think it is normal with age (although I am mid 30's & have not been to a GP about it) they used to be 35 days on the dot - strange - I would not worry as a random event - but ask GP next time you are there -

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Fri 26-Dec-14 23:06:45

You have probably entered perimenopause and this is the time for odd periods. Mine started playing up in the same way as yours for a few years then went every 28 days for a year ( first time in my life they were that regular! ) . Now for the last year I have only had 4 periods. I mentioned it at my smear last year, and told funny cycles in the perimenopause is very common.
That said, I would mention it to your doctor.

ouryve Fri 26-Dec-14 23:28:58

I'm 45 and have been perimenopausal for a few years. My cycles have been anything from 35 days to just a very unpleasant 12 days, this past year.

Kittykat7 Sat 27-Dec-14 05:21:12

Thanks all. I shall download an app to track my periods & mention it to my Dr. It must be peri menopause.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now