Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know about bowels?

(11 Posts)
duffaho Fri 26-Dec-14 07:51:29

I thought I knew how bowels worked . Muscle waves slowly move the waste through until it reaches the end.The slower it goes the more compact the motion until it becomes constipation. Or something along those lines anyway.
I have an ongoing problem that is really getting me down. It started with a bout of Noro in October. After a few nasty days the pain stopped and I started feeling better. However,the diarrhoea didnt stop. It continued without let up until I had to make a journey and took loperamide continuously for a few days. That seemed to do the trick and I returned to normal bowel wise. A couple of weeks later Noro returned and the whole thing started again. But this second bout is different in that although the urgency is the same there is a lot more time between movements. It can be anything from half an hour to over 24 hours. But the end result is exactly the same. Watery with very little solid matter regardless of the time taken .

Has anyone any idea what is going on?

MrsPnut Fri 26-Dec-14 07:57:41

I have ulcerative colitis so my bowel doesn't work properly and when I'm in flare, I can have different time periods between needing to go to the loo and it is always liquid.

You may have a water absorption problem, there is something called bile salts malabsorption but I would visit the GP and ask for blood tests and a referral to a gastroenterologist for investigations.

Mostlyjustaluker Fri 26-Dec-14 08:08:56

Was it the Noro returning eg uncontrollable diahoorhea and projectile vomitting? Or could you have been severally constipated form the medication and for want of a better phrase pooing water like diahoorhea around the harden pieces?

FrontForward Fri 26-Dec-14 08:12:54

See your GP.

You may have colitis or any other issue but you need to see a GP

duffaho Fri 26-Dec-14 08:37:15

mrsp frontforward Does colitis usually start in this way? Ive never had any previous bowel problems and thought I was just doing a good job keeping mine healthy sad

mostly Im pretty sure it was noro again as the symptoms were exactly the same as the first time .Although the pain was much more intense the second time.

I dont think it can be bounceback diarrhoea as it only started with the original noro and I douht I took the tablets long enough to cause a problem. But how can you tell ?

MrsPnut Fri 26-Dec-14 09:42:41

I never had any bowel issues before, one movement a day, every day and I thought I never would have problems.

Mine started fairly gradually, i had diarrhoea more and more often and then had urgency and frequency, then passing blood and it really smelt. I had symptoms for over 18 months before I plucked up the courage to go to the GP.
I was referred to a consultant, and had an endoscopy and Colonoscopy fairly quickly. Two months after seeing the GP, I had a diagnosis but it's taken another 18 months to get my medication right and feel better.

TheTravellingLemon Fri 26-Dec-14 09:49:54

I have IBS and it started just like this. You need to go to the GP and get it investigated. One of the problems that arose for me was a severe vitamin B12 deficiency.

Until you can get to the doctor, avoid wheat and anything processed. I found a diet of chicken and boiled rice helped. Bananas and poached salmon was also good, but everyone is different.

TheTravellingLemon Fri 26-Dec-14 09:51:00

Not bananas and salmon together by the way. I'm not crazy! shockgrin

Princessdeb Fri 26-Dec-14 09:54:04

Dear OP,
While this is most likely to be an ongoing reaction to the norovirus or indeed as one of the PP's said a bit of overflow diarrhoea due to the effects of the loperamide any change in bowel habit needs to be taken very seriously. You need to see your GP very soon. If it were me I would not want to wait until after the holidays to get it checked. Would it be possible to get an OOH appointment this weekend or one on Monday? The likelihood of it being anything serious is small but if there are any serious concerns the sooner it is investigated the better. Good luck. X

gobbin Fri 26-Dec-14 11:58:45

My Crohns started following a week of diarrhoea after a friend's wedding. Before then I'd been a regular 3-times-a-week girl. It's worth getting checked over.

MrsPinotGrigio Fri 26-Dec-14 12:17:17

Like others my Crohns started quite abruptly following gastroenteritis & my consultant thinks the bug triggered it. Any change in bowel habits should be investigated so please see your GP & ask for a referral to a Gastro doc. Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now