Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how to treat Cradle cap on face

(8 Posts)
omama Wed 24-Dec-14 14:31:14

DD (5 weeks) has a really bad case of cradle cap on her face. Her entire forehead including eyebrows is covered in a thick yellow crust. It is also spreading across her cheeks & into her scalp. She looks bloody horrendous dreams of lovely first christmas photos ruined

I know the suggested treatment for cradle cap on the scalp is to soften it with olive oil/baby oil & then use a soft brush to loosen it but I'm not sure how to tackle her face since I can't very well brush it! The only thing I can think of is to pick at it but I know thats not usually recommended due to risk of infection/scarring.

Any ideas welcomed. Thanks

kimlo Wed 24-Dec-14 14:32:49

When dd2 had this boots did a really good cream for cradle cap, their own make.

FairlyUseless Wed 24-Dec-14 14:33:21

Yes, smother in olive oil overnight and gently rub away with a damp flannel. Or use coconut oil, which I did as I preferred the smell! DS is 3.3 now and still has cradle cap on and off. sad

notasleep Wed 24-Dec-14 14:34:37

My dd had cradle cap on her face -I rubbed olive oil onto it and then gently rubbed with a flannel, it did help to get rid of it a bit. It will go in time.

Sure she doesn't look horrendous btw.!

notasleep Wed 24-Dec-14 14:36:27

Oops x posts! Yes leave overnight as pp says.. Forgot that bit.

Eminybob Wed 24-Dec-14 14:43:21

My DS has always had issues with his skin, including cradle cap and I find E45 cream to be really effective.

PragmaticWench Wed 24-Dec-14 14:49:41

E45 is quite harsh, dermatologists hate it. Try Diprobase, you can buy it over the counter.

omama Wed 24-Dec-14 15:02:52

kimlo I used that cream for ds & found it to be excellent so have actually been & got some this morning.

It was more a question of what to use to remove the softened flakes but I hadnt thought of a flannel so thanks for the suggestion fairlyuseless & Notasleep will try that tomorrow. Its only crusted yellow today so not sure its quite ready to come off yet.

Thanks very much for the help everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now